Lifter valley holes plugged??'s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Who are you responding to?
I quoted the individual I'm responding to in my message, that's telling us how the plugs aren't keeping oil uptop when they are restricting drain back to the bottom..🤣🤣

I can't even...🤣🤣

Blocked off as mentioned to direct to front and back. Street setup the oil cools internals in the engine. Lack of splash on certain parts heat will take its toll over time. I'd open them up but that's just me.

And yes, you're getting two different answers here.

You want to daily drive it, put it back to the way it was from the factory.

Last edited:

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oh okay so can I run the block on the street in a daily driver with hyd roller camshaft with the plugs in the block?Thanks
Answer IMO is it depends. And the other side of things is extra oiling isn't really a bad thing.

On its own, roller cam wouldn't be hurt in the least by the plugged lifter valley center drain holes with the end holes left wide open, it's a trick specifically designed for use in roller cam motors. Where you'd get into a potential problem is having windage screen covering the top of the crank that you mention. Roller lifters tend to prefer mist oiling in the crankcase and slung oil off the crankshaft over drip down oil always. BUT... With the holes plugged AND screen over the top of the crank you would be restricting oiling from all around.

Flat tappet cam? Different story too. Then you would be more likely to see issues not having the drip down.

But you also aren't likely to see any benefit from the plugs from it on a street car, and, the couple HP of a top end all-out race motor wouldn't really come into play for you either. It's really not a big benefit unless you're somehow restricted and trying to eek out those last drops of potential.

Being that the engine is apart now, it's an ideal time to open them up again just in case for whatever reason you want the flexibility. Then you could run the windage screen above the crank and not worry about things. Heck, incredibly low probability i have a hard time picturing, but, if for whatever unknown reason in the future you chose switch back to a flat tappet cam if there's a grind availability issue, or, you're doing some kind of budget changes to the build and get a good deal but don't want to tear it all the way down to open things up? Nice to have it out of the way.

I almost liken then question to one of 'could I run wheelie bars on a street driven car?'... subject to local laws, sure, and if under 3 ft long no light or flag required. But why do it?

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I'm laughing so hard right now. This is amazing. Paragraphs summarized says what I said simply..I didn't have to go into the detail because it wasn't needed. I love the people of the internet..🤣

ck80 you need to get the f on and find someone else to mess with. You're behind the computer why you keep on, in person we wouldn't hear a peep. End of the day that’s the fact I'm good with. We both know that one.

Now, back on topic..

Pull em out. 👍

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Thanks guys for the information I'm going to try and scew them out and hopefully they will just screw out 👍 👌
I've seen some pressed in too, all how the people put them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor