Lifting body from frame—need to remove fenders/hood/core support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldhawg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2021
All the pictures I see of people lifting the body off the frame have the front cap off (body minus hood/fenders/core etc), just lifting body firewall back. I am going to be replacing all the body bushings and I have a full access to a 2-post lift shop, and I’d like to just pick the whole body off, roll the frame out and have it powdercoated prior to putting the bushings in and all new suspension. I’m wondering if the stress of the weight of the front fenders core support will cause any damage if I do that, since I don’t see anybody doing it that way. I’m hoping it can be done, and suspect that almost all the frame offs have major work being done which is why the fenders are off. In my case, I’m just trying to get some light surface rust off in a bunch of places and then have my chassis looking spiffy. Appreciate feedback from those w/background on this.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Check out Streetbu’s thread “Project long time coming”. Pretty sure he had his body off whole.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

Goldhawg

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 27, 2021
Check out Streetbu’s thread “Project long time coming”. Pretty sure he had his body off whole.
Found it; yep he seems to have done exactly what I wanted. You can even see where he supported so that's where the two-post lift will pick up.

Attachments

• G-body Body Off Frame.jpg
    G-body Body Off Frame.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 169
Reactions: 3 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Goldhawg, earlier this year, I did a frame swap to replace the 87 frame with one from an 84. The 87 frame was rusted due to a previous owner launching boats and I didn't trust how much rust had weakened inside the rails. I prepped the 84 frame by replacing suspension, installing engine and trans, exhaust, etc. Basically had either installed or test fitted everything that I had easy access to while it was not under the body.

As for removing body parts forward of the firewall, I did that to save weight stressing the fenders. Without the frame and once it is removed, all of the weight is hanging on by a few bolts of the fender and attached to the plastic inner fender wells. I did NOT want to chance buckling any of these pieces. Also, to lessen the weight, I removed both doors.

I've shared some of my experiences and lessons on several sites but can't find them all. Here's one:

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yep, I did. No issues what so ever. Any questions by all means ask away.

Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yep, I did. No issues what so ever. Any questions by all means ask away.
That's because the bodies of Malibus were made from recycled beer cans.

:) J/K. All the G-bodies were made from recycled beer cans.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
That's because the bodies of Malibus were made from recycled beer cans.

:) J/K. All the G-bodies were made from recycled beer cans.
I wish they were... then we would all have an aluminum framed, aluminum bodied, hot rod with 300hp that would never rust car :LOL:

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I feel lucky to have my rust free cars from Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, and California.

Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I wish they were... then we would all have an aluminum framed, aluminum bodied, hot rod with 300hp that would never rust car :LOL:
Up until the early 1970s beer came in steel cans lined with tin.

I'd guess early gbodies were literally made with some beer cans mixed in the metal.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor