Light upgrade for T-Top G-Bodys

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
For those of you with T-Tops you know the light in our cars isnt that great. Heres an upgrade. Using a dome light from a third gen camaro, I believe other GM vehicles have these, just have to look. Heres my write up. Thanks to Phoenix for telling me how to do this, just want to share it with everyone.

Things you need:

Dome light assembly
1/8 or 1/16 rubber sheeting
2) 8-32 hex nuts
2) 8-32 x 3/4 screws
knife & scissors
pen & marker
2) tap splice connectors
drill bit
dremol tool

Heres what you want to start with.
IMG_0730.jpg

Place the dome light on top of the rubber sheeting and trace it with a pen.
IMG_0731.jpg

This is what you want to end with once you cut everything.
IMG_0736.jpg

Place dome light on top of t-top plastic and mark the holes and square to cut out with a marker.
IMG_0738.jpg

Mark the holes and square space so that the bulb prongs can fit thru just like this. Drill and use dremol tool to do this. ( I used just the drill bit cause my dremol is broken)
IMG_0739.jpg

once thats done put everything together and screw in everything together so youll end up like this.
IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

and the finished product
IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
good info!

Another possibility is you could even put a little LED board in there and it would make a huge difference. My dad just did that to the dome lights in his FJ, they are awesome!

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Very NICE! Love it! Awesome mod bro.

In my case I have a rear view mirror with lights on the bottom, it's not as nice as this idea, but it works. After seeing this though, it's something I will do in the future as well.

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
3XBrownCutty said:
good info!

Another possibility is you could even put a little LED board in there and it would make a huge difference. My dad just did that to the dome lights in his FJ, they are awesome!

yeah i ordered my LED light bulb replacement from www.superbrightleds.com

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
i have an extra setup if anyone is interested for 25 bucks shipped to the lower 45

PRETTY BOI D

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2010
Can i jus buy a different bulb and put that in instead....if so i was thinking bout a light bulb thats bright white

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
Cutty1 said:
where are you gonna hook up power from?good idea

from the existing cables that run to the back lights next to the 1/4 glass. All T-Top cars have these dome lights on the side so im just going to splice into the existing white and orange wire

T-TOP TONY

Master Mechanic
Jun 13, 2008
san bernardino, ca
PRETTY BOI D said:
Can i jus buy a different bulb and put that in instead....if so i was thinking bout a light bulb thats bright white

yes u can. I ordered some LED replactement bulbs from this site www.superbrightleds.com the bulb replacement number is 4410

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor