Lighting Rod installation help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldsDad

Apprentice
Supporting Member
Mar 16, 2019
Southwest Michigan 49102
I am installing lightning rods in my 86 442. Does anyone know what I need and Where to find the parts. I think there was a guy in Chicago that made some of the parts needed for the conversion Thanks

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You need the shifter assembly itself, obviously. Then you'll need the floor mounting brackets, and the shifter cable, the rubber dust boot, dust whiskers which lays into the metal tray that the rubber dust boot is glued to, the top plate and the 4 top plate screws, and you'll also need to cut up the console insert to mount the shifter through. You also need to take out the shift indicator light bulb at least or the lamp wiring (your call) as you'll no longer need it. Once you cut it, there's no going back.

The 86 has no provision in the tach for the shift indicator needle like the 83/84 H/O's used. This was because at night, there was no lit indicator to see which gear you would be in. Thus, they put it in the gages.

sergio

Apprentice
Aug 23, 2012
Thanks I have a good set of lightning rods just needed to know what to look for and what to get when installing them thanks you are alot of help
Angelo Valenti, just rebuilt mine. He has the top plates and has the info on the rest of the parts you need. I found most of it on ebay.
Look him up on facebook

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Forgot to mention- you will also need the L/R cable transmission end cable bracket that bolts to the bottom pan of the transmission.

Take a look at this thread (link below). There are diagrams and such there showing what you need to do somewhat, and I've listed part numbers you would need to get. It tells you how and where to cut the carpet, but it doesn't tell you exactly what you need to do to cut the console insert.

hurst-shifter-plate-1-jpg.117648

hurst-shifter-plate-2-jpg.117649

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor