Lightning rod shifter pricing and adaption

Status
Not open for further replies.

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
Hi all,

Im looking into installing a lightning rod shifter from a 87/88 hurst that i will like to install on my 85’ 442, will they fit right on and work with my trans? and whats a good price to pay?
Some guy is charging me $400 for the shifter/cable/plate and too cover plate. Is that too much?
15cf35212c3c0e24e663d01fbd643d89.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
There was no 87/88 Hurst, so......

But anyway, the 83/84 H/O LR shifter was the only 4-speed version I'm aware of. A 3 speed version won't work properly. The shifter rods have the knobs all about equal height on the H/O rods. The non-H/O rods I think the center rod is longer IIRC. If you had the proper LR cable, lower boot, upper rubber boot, brushes, screws, front/rear and trans brackets, shifter plate and then you have to cut out the upper plastic area where the regular shifter indicator holes are (this will be a big hole). It appears to me those shifters you put in the pictures are 3 speed versions and NOT out of an 83/84 Hurst/Olds. I hate to say this, but if you're hell bent on putting a nice set in your 442, those pictured aren't the ones I'd use.

Know this, if you're not worried about originality any longer, you will HAVE to modify your console, unless you have another upper section you can modify. Or if someone has an 83/84 top section out of an H/O already cut. The brackets should bolt up, and as long as you have all the good stuff, you should be fine. Once you cut up your console, there's no going back. Unless you have another console upper section.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Oh, and as an 84 H/O owner who's rods are adjusted properly and the shifter is in excellent shape, and with my own G-body 442 cars, the LR's are nothing much more than gimmicky feel good thing. Sure, they look cool af, but that's about it. The 442 goes in D or OD and it cruises just as well.

Don't get me wrong, the Rods make the interior for sure as a focal point. But function-wise....if I had a set laying around and wanted to hack up a console, then maybe. But going out and buying a set... that's a lot of money to simply look cool. This is JMO. Take it with a huge grain of salt. Your car, your money, your desires. Follow your dreams.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
There was no 87/88 Hurst, so......

But anyway, the 83/84 H/O LR shifter was the only 4-speed version I'm aware of. A 3 speed version won't work properly. The shifter rods have the knobs all about equal height on the H/O rods. The non-H/O rods I think the center rod is longer IIRC. If you had the proper LR cable, lower boot, upper rubber boot, brushes, screws, front/rear and trans brackets, shifter plate and then you have to cut out the upper plastic area where the regular shifter indicator holes are (this will be a big hole). It appears to me those shifters you put in the pictures are 3 speed versions and NOT out of an 83/84 Hurst/Olds. I hate to say this, but if you're hell bent on putting a nice set in your 442, those pictured aren't the ones I'd use.

Know this, if you're not worried about originality any longer, you will HAVE to modify your console, unless you have another upper section you can modify. Or if someone has an 83/84 top section out of an H/O already cut. The brackets should bolt up, and as long as you have all the good stuff, you should be fine. Once you cut up your console, there's no going back. Unless you have another console upper section.

Ok, so you are telling me that these will not just drop right into my 85’?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ok, so you are telling me that these will not just drop right into my 85’?

Without being too blunt about it, yes. I'm not trying to discourage you at all. You have to do what you want with your car. I'm just saying to get these to work with the 4R trans, it ain't worth the headache IMHO. And those rods look like they were rode hard and put up wet anyway. Don't even know how good they are. I mean, one of the huge problems with them in general when they get old is the stop tangs. Basically a rectangular piece of metal that goes in the detent to keep the shifter in whichever gear you're in...they have a tendency to get worn and wobbly and even break off. Not saying this is the case as I don't know for sure the condition of these particular Rods. Just things to consider.

If'n it were me and I was hellbent on getting a set of Rods, I'd search for some bonafide 83-84 H/O L/Rs. this way you know the shifter will work with your trans.

digimurda

Greasemonkey
Sep 29, 2010
RHODE ISLAND
Without being too blunt about it, yes. I'm not trying to discourage you at all. You have to do what you want with your car. I'm just saying to get these to work with the 4R trans, it ain't worth the headache IMHO. And those rods look like they were rode hard and put up wet anyway. Don't even know how good they are. I mean, one of the huge problems with them in general when they get old is the stop tangs. Basically a rectangular piece of metal that goes in the detent to keep the shifter in whichever gear you're in...they have a tendency to get worn and wobbly and even break off. Not saying this is the case as I don't know for sure the condition of these particular Rods. Just things to consider.

If'n it were me and I was hellbent on getting a set of Rods, I'd search for some bonafide 83-84 H/O L/Rs. this way you know the shifter will work with your trans.

Sorry for the misunderstanding i meant they came from a 83’ hurst

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Ah, well if they are from an actual Hurst/Olds, then they will work with your trans. I was under the impression these were 3 speeds or something. Your picture isn't a very good one to determine 3 or 4 speed version.

VERIFY them as having all the detents available for a 4 speed and you should be able to get them to work. Again, though, you're looking at having to cut out the indicator area of the upper console if yours is all you got.

To give you an idea on what you're going to have to do:

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/int_lrods_retro.php

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
You can buy a lot of the other junk you need from Gbodyparts.com if you like rolling the dice.

Again, I apologize thinking they were 3 speeds. Cuz if the guy was telling you that they came from an 87 Hurst/Olds, I'd like a nickel bag of whatever he was smoking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor