Lightning rod shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

86aeroGP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 15, 2012
Dover, Delaware
Looking to find a lightning rod shifter set up, or anything really, maybe even some site s that sell them, what I've seen on ebay these people think there worth their weight in gold.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Unfortunarely you have to expect to pay their weight in gold for them. That's just the way it is. And in case you were thinking it was just a rumor, this forum really does have a separate parts wanted section. It's true I swear it.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Yep its true as the sky is blue.............if you want Lightning rod shifter setup....... expect to pay nothing less than $500.00 for a decent set and they may still need reworked or the balls and buttons replaced. I paid $600.00 for my 3 speed set over 5 years ago. Its a limited supply and high demand game when your talking Lightning Rod shifters nowadays. It used to be that you were more inclined to pay the high prices on the original 4 speed sets, now it dont matter cuz even the 3 speed sets are as much. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
They're not reproduced and if they were it's not cost feasible to do so due to the number of parts and tolerancing these shifters require to operate properly.
Rebuild parts are NOT available either (unless you have a licsense from Hurst).
Hurst stopped making them for a reason... once they start to wear in the pin channels on the lever arms, they're junk PERIOD. They bind, you jam the shifter up by skipping a gear and wind up braking a pin trying to fix it with brute force like an ape. Once they bind they need to be taken apart properly...
You have to get lucky and find a set from a reputable person that knows what they're doing and not some honky jackass who mamed them over time.

That is why they're expensive.

And not to mention the fact that a little over 6500 4 speeds were ever made and they were only available in 83-84 Hurst Olds.
3 speeds are around and a little more abundant but were not produced that long due to the fact that they're junk :lol:

Novelty item is all they are...
BUT
If properly adjusted they work awesome, I have them in all my cars.

Reactions: 1 user

86aeroGP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 15, 2012
Dover, Delaware
makes sense, i can definitely see the cost and such to have them. might be a good adventure to look into getting my hands on one and seeing what i can do to make it work.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
Now if thay only made the 'his and hers' shifters like from the 79-80 H/O's but in a 4 speed, then that would be something special.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
88hurstolds said:
I believe they did make 4 speed dual gate shifters for Firebirds and Camero's in the late 80's early 90's but they're very hard to find. I know I saw one before...

Yeah, I've seen those before, but I would love to have seen a factory one or an aftermarket one made to fit a G-body without any butchery. The thing that doesn't make sense to me is these shifters seem to be a nice, simple, practical design with a good function but no one makes them anymore. Instead you have your choice of 100 different slap/rachet shifters that are all the same it seems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor