Lightning Rods? How do they work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KAub

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Rhode Island
Somehow, i found a Lightning Rod setup at a swap meet. Compared to the ones I've seen on ebay which can be had for $600, I thought $350 was a good price. The knobs, buttons and chrome is in excellent condition. Unfortunately I have no idea as to how it works or how to make it work with my 700-r4. I'm not sure if i can use it with my 700-r4, but could anybody give me information about them?

KAub

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Rhode Island
How can you tell?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I think if it is for the three speed it has 2 levers and the four speed has three levers. I think it kind of works like a Lenco in that each shifter does one shift and you slam it forward to select the next gear.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
both the 3 speed and 4 speed shifters have 3 levers.
Do you know what year car it came from?
If its a 83/84 shifter, its for the 4 speed.
The 3 speed shifter came from around 78 (not sure of the exact year).
they both work the same except for the number gears the first lever works.
the 3 speed has P R N D on the first lever, and the 4 speed has P R N OD D. And is used like most floor shifters.
To use the other 2 levers you pull the first all the way back, then pull the second lever back to put it into second. you pull the third lever back to put it in first. to upshift start with the last lever and push them forward one at a time.

KAub

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 14, 2009
Rhode Island
So, if the first rod has four positions, then its a three speed and if it has five its for a four speed?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
There is ONE easy way to tell if it is a three speed, on the right the shifter cam sticks out for a staging rod provision.
ALSO
the three speed rods are longer and most likely if they are in really nice condition and you bought them for $350 they are 3-speeds.

You can also count the shift points, the first lever on the 4-speed will have 5 positions PRNDOD while 3-speeds will have 4 postions (PRND)
also the main lever will go behind the 2nd and 3rd lever on the 4 speeds when all the sticks are pulled back, the 3-speeds will line up perfectly when all pulled back. You can use the standard 83/84 L-rod shift plate but the main lever will never go all the way back to the OD mark which works out for you 3-speed guys, just remove the OD if you are willing to ruin your top plate...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor