Lightweight Aluminum Bumper Mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
I have a 81 olds and would like to change out the factory bumper mounts to the light weigh aluminum ones. What is the weight saving and who has the best price for a set front and back?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Just so you know, the stock steel mounts telescope in to protect the frame from minor hits. Those aftermarket aluminum mounts are solid, they don't telescope and and you lose that crash protection. For a street car you should stick with the stock bumper mounts, the solid aluminum mounts are really only good for the race track.

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
This is not a walmart shopper ride but a bracket car. It get driven less then a 100 miles for the season to and from the track. I know I am not the only one that has done the switch. So I am still looking for some answers to the first question.

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
The factory bumper mounts weigh in at around six pounds each and the aluminum replacements are about 1 pound each..

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
I bought mine from Gbodyparts.com. Worked fine.

FWIW, my car is a street car however it's not a daily driver so I'm not really concerned about the crash impact of the aluminum supports. If I get bumped there's a lot more that'll get damaged along with the bumper supports/frame so it's pretty much a wash in my eyes.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
FE3X CLONE said:
FWIW, my car is a street car however it's not a daily driver so I'm not really concerned about the crash impact of the aluminum supports. If I get bumped there's a lot more that'll get damaged along with the bumper supports/frame so it's pretty much a wash in my eyes.

Agreed ^^^^^^ I welded up my own brackets for front and rear. The 5mph shocks were a government regulation that didn't save the frame on my Regal. Frame was still bent from a 20 mph impact.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Anubis said:
FE3X CLONE said:

Agreed ^^^^^^ I welded up my own brackets for front and rear. The 5mph shocks were a government regulation that didn't save the frame on my Regal. Frame was still bent from a 20 mph impact.

They still would have dampered the impact and reduced frame damage as well as reducing neck and back injuries to you. :shock: Everying has a cost, yeah you save weight but you also sacrifice collision dampering and safety. Just don't drive passengers in a car with soild bumper mounts in case they get injured in a colliision and can use the solid mounts against you in court.

Yav8, does your Cutlass have any factory alumium body parts? A factory aluminum bumper core will reduce weight without affecting crash protection. Some Cutlasses also came with aluminum hood that saves 30 Lbs. Lots of OEM weight saving parts for G bodies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
I make my own also and did away with the bumper reinforcements - you can also cut the side door guards out.

Attachments

• IMG_3773.JPG
    IMG_3773.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 1,449
  • IMG_3776.JPG
    IMG_3776.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 996

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
It does have the aluminum hood. Its put away for the winter and won't come out until spring. Just looking for simple things to do to get some weight off. We put it together in a week from a stock 305 DD to a 383 bracket car and only had two weekends to race it. Everything went as planned but now its time to do some tinkering. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor