Limited slip from one axle to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorK

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 26, 2014
Lensvik, Norway
Gentlemen! I live in Norway, and I have a '88 Monte Carlo SS with 3.73 ratio, but no limited slip.
However, I have on hand a rear axle from a '77 Malibu, the ratio is around 2.8 or something, but this one has limited slip. Is it possible to move the "limited slip unit" from the older axle to my SS-axle? Big deal or easy? All hints and tricks are of interest!

Tor Kvakland

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The '77 may be an 8.2", or 8.5" differential. It has to be from a 7.5" differential to work in your MC. Before you take anything apart, the easiest way to tell what you have is to look at the differential cover. See attached picture.
Diff Covers.JPG

By far, the simplest way to upgrade is to buy a PowerTrax mini-locker. Although they are not cheap ($400), these install in place of the the pinion gears inside the open differential. No need to remove the differential.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor