Line Lock LED SOLVED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I tried to wire in an LED indicator for the line lock and it works intermittently. I tried 2 other LEDs, and same result. If I wire the conventional incandescent bulb it works every time. I put a diode in, and can still feel the kickback off the solenoid on the gated side of it. Any ideas?

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
It could be the LEDs you’re using, I wouldn’t trust cheap eBay ones to work even they’re 12v rated.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I get that, but the one on the 2 step works and I tried 2 others. A conventional bulb works. It's got something to do with the spike off the solenoid that a diode won't fix. I may have to rob the e-brake indicator bulb out of the Pig.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Little off subject but I'm not a fan of line locks, had one stick and almost put it in the wall.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Use a micro relay.

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Little off subject but I'm not a fan of line locks, had one stick and almost put it in the wall.
Unfortunately, it's a stick, and I'm not talented enough to power brake it.
Use a micro relay.
I thought about that. Trying to get it as close to the solenoid as possible and minimize parts.

I really just want to know why it doesn't freaking work!

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Unfortunately, it's a stick, and I'm not talented enough to power brake it.

I thought about that. Trying to get it as close to the solenoid as possible and minimize parts.

I really just want to know why it doesn't freaking work!

A lack of load/resistance. Use a relay.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
It's definitely the spike off the solenoid that's screwing with me. I ordered some more "lights" off the Ding How Purveyor, and they're freaking LEDs. Dammit! I did what I was trying to avoid, and put a relay in. The LED indicator works now, but the turn/high beam indicators still flicker when the solenoid disengages. Ima try moving the solenoid ground away, and see what that does. Hindsight being 20/20, I should have grounded the b*tch to the frame.

What really ticks me off is that, of all the doggone, complicated wiring I've done in 30 years, a simple switch, solenoid, and indicator are giving me a straight up fit! GRRRRRR!

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Too many amps - ohm's law applies. You can use diode but you need a resistor to limit the amps to the rating of your led.

I burnt up about 5 in the Cutty before I figured it out. If they work a couple of times and then quit (forever - burned up), then you need higher wattage resistor. How about some specs on the LEDs your using?

The best part about these things is that the resistors, diodes and LEDs are so freakin cheap. $25 dollars buys a handful of everything.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
There's only a 5a fuse feeding both the 2 step and line lock. I know you're old enough to remember when you could get gas grill igniters as gag toys; that's exactly what it feels like. I think it's a voltage spike.

The LEDs are China's finest with no reliable provided specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor