List of 78 - 88 GM A and G body cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

59chev

n00b
Jul 30, 2006
Hello,
I currently own a 78 Pontiac grand Prix and a 59 chevy pickup. When I was driving the Pontiac I really liked the way it handled and would like to get the same type of handling in my truck. I am considering a pre-fabricated front clip for my pickup that will let me use 78-88 GM A/G body front suspension parts for my truck.

I was wondering if anyone has a comprehensive list of all RWD GM cars from 78-88 that are considered a A or G body?

Thanks,
59chev

87AeroSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2006
Wisconsin
Buick Regal/Grand National/T-Type, Chevrolet Monte Carlo/Malibu/El Camino, Oldsmobile Cutlass/442/hurst/Salon, Pontiac Grand Prix/Bonneville/Le Mans/Grand Am, GMC Caballero. Also the wagon varients. I also think the 78-85 cadillac seville is A/G body based, But dont quote me.

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
The 76-79 sevilles were based on the nova platform and used the bolt on subframe. The later seviles, 80 & up, were based on the 79 eldo. They were both also FWD so I'm not sure what parts they would share? The caddies have a torsion bar front end ( no springs).

87GP

Greasemonkey
Jul 15, 2006
59chev

What about a bolt-on subframe from a nova/ventura/skylark/apollo/omega/camaro/firebird? These used control arms and coil springs much like the g-bodies but it's all mounted to the bolt-on subframe.

sirplus

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 24, 2006
Michigan
1983-1990 A bodies are proably not what you are looking for.

they include the FWD
Ciera, Oldsmobile
6000, Pontiac
Celebrity, Chevrolet
Century, Buick

59chev

n00b
Jul 30, 2006
Thanks for the Quick response guys. The ones I'm interested in are the RWD versions only, but I think most were listed.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Yeah, I think '82 was when they officially became "G" bodies and the "A" became the FWD, before that they were "A" and "A-sp". I know my '81 Pontiac Service Manual lists the LeMans family as the "A" and the Grand Prix as "Asp"

I'm guessing the Chevy would have been Malibu/Elky as "A" and Monte Carlo as "Asp".

Buick and Olds were a little different since they had the goofy Salon/Century 2/4-door Hatchbacks, unsure which were A and Asp there.

Somebody with the relevant service manuals might want to correct me on that, since I'm probably wrong :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor