List your personal shop rules here (inspired by fleming442)

Status
Not open for further replies.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
When I saw the title of fleming442's recent post ("Shop Rule #127"), it instantly made me think of a few rules I have tried to always follow over the years. Some of these were picked up from friends; some were learned through personal experience. I'm going to number them below.

1: Do not tighten any until all have been started.
2: Do not remove any until all have been loosened.
3: If you have to force it, you're doing it wrong.
4: You don't have to believe Dempsey, but it helps.
5: Air is our friend; electricity is to be feared and respected.
6: A working example is better than exploratory surgery.
7: Before applying torque, calculate the failure trajectory and take protective measures.
8: When working under a car, use redundant safety devices.
9: Always wear proper eye protection.

(Explanation of rule #6: when faced with a job that involves doing the same thing two times <such as replacing drum brake shoes, for example>, do not dismantle the second side until the first half is completely back together. If you get lost or cannot figure out how everything goes back together, consult the still-together side for the answer.)

Feel free to share your own rules that haven't yet been mentioned. Maybe we'll all learn something. :p

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
My golden rule: Don't stress over having to do everything twice even when most of the time it is not even your fault as bloody knuckles will still be your reward even when you don't.

o_O

Reactions: 2 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
My grandad used to say: " if you didn't slip a wrench, bust a knuckle, and draw blood, you did it wrong"

If the fastener doesn't feel right, it will break or strip the threads.

Yes, heat does make almost everything easier.

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
#1 always clean the tool before putting it back in the tool box
Was taught this when I was 6 years old and still do it today.
The shop I work at they supply the tools I told the kid i work with on his first day always clean the tools before you put them away and 4 years later I still grab dirty tools so I put them on his cart so he can clean them.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Sure, I would appreciate it if you hold the light for me. Is my face shiney? If it is, I can't see anything.

• Useful

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
My personal rules, some of you may have similar trains of thought.

#1 Have some drying substrate at the ready. Be it dirt, grass, leaves, or kitty litter.

#2 Plan on getting everything everywhere.

#3 Have multiple drain pans.

#4 Freakin use jack stands. Face the lever away from you as to not get caught on anything.

#5 When pulling an engine out of a vehicle with a manual transmission, make sure the damn thing can't roll backwards. Or forwards.

#6 DON'T. WASTE. SHOP. TOWELS. My brother is not allowed to touch my stash of shop towels.

#7 Wipe your *ss off before sitting in the car to see if it works.

#8 Know what gear you're in when you fire up said car.

#9 No burnouts within 5 miles of your house if in a suburban/city environment. If in the country, do donuts in the yard. I don't care.

#10 Put the damn tools back. Don't drop em and leave.

Edit: All of these are directed at my little brother.

Last edited:

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
ALWAYS use welding blankets when mig welding, cover ANYTHING that could be damaged. PART -B don't just leave the garage after welding, check for anywhere that a spark might be smoldering. Then check again in 10-15 minutes. Our garages and projects are far to valuable to us to ignore this one.

• Agree
Reactions: 8 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Extension cords and air lines are great tripping hazards as well. Wrap them up when not in use. And never under estimate the use of a good broom with matching dustpan ! Tools , meh I am OK with the Mass- Organization system as long as they are all returned to the cart and not left on the frame, or air cleaner, or base of the windshield.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor