Living Marine receives CMH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
We may not make much in this country anymore, but we still produce genuine heroes. A young US Marine named Dakota Meyer was awarded the Medal of Honor today for his heroic action in Afghanistan where he and a buddy made no less than 5 trips into heavy enemy fire to rescue comrades who were getting torn up by a Taliban ambush. Ignoring orders to stay put, he grabbed a Humvee and waded right into the awful mess, saving 36 men's lives and recovering all the dead. Upon meeting the President, he was asked what he wanted, and in true soldier fashion, asked to just have a beer with him, which they did. Instead of the usual Brass and Politicians, only Sgt. Meyer's buddy's were present at the ceremony, fellow Corporals and Sergeants. Read the story here-http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/16/us/dakota-meyer-ex-marine-is-awarded-medal-of-honor.html

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Saw that article too. Courageous guy for sure. Reminds me of my cousin that was part of the 101st Airborne.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
i heard a slightly different story. obama invited him for a beer, apparently he does this regularly. and what Sgt. Meyer wanted was for memorials to be held for his fallen friends.
hes also arranging for a trust fund for Marine's kids to help them with college.
just more proof that he's a real Marine and citizen!

am4blue

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2009
Garden City, Mi
Heard on the radio that he was working construction when the President called. He asked if he could call him to back on his break. Funny and kind of admirable if true.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
megaladon6 said:
i heard a slightly different story. obama invited him for a beer, apparently he does this regularly. and what Sgt. Meyer wanted was for memorials to be held for his fallen friends.
hes also arranging for a trust fund for Marine's kids to help them with college.
just more proof that he's a real Marine and citizen!
That appears to be the correct version. The kid is a true, good old fashioned American hero! 8)

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If you talk to our current crop of soldiers, you find they are pretty humble. Yet they are tough, smart, and dedicated. I served during the crazy Draft days, and you have to admit that VOLAR has worked. There may be a lot more guys serving for economic reasons these days, but that doesn't take anything away from their professionalism. I know, my Son-in-law and his buddies are hard core to the max. We are in very good hands.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
We are in great hands concerning today's military. But mostly we always have been. My outfit included a Chicano kid from Modesto, CA, Two black kids, one from NYC one from Hattiesburg, MS, a kid from Tampa that was Chinese/Korean and white guys from Montana, DE, MA, NY, AZ and NC as well as other parts of the country. It took about two hours for us to be family and it stayed that way for a year. I would and did trust my life and my country to these guys. We lost 3 members and I still remember their faces today.

JBreu

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2008
Livonia, New York
Semper Fi!!!!!!!!! God bless our troops and vets!! 8)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
This marine is a true life hero and there many more like him in the military accomplishing heroic deeds day in and day out keeping our part of the world safe. There is nothing I can do to make it up to them for the sacrifices they make for someone like me whom they have never met....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor