Local Sears Is Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Let's see, down town stores, became strip malls, became mega malls, became Amazon.

Sadly, Amazon doesn't police anything so I've managed to get bootleg music, movies, a guitar, and even Hanes underwear. Picture material the consistency of an oil rag hanging from an elastic band with Hanes stamped on it that doesn't look quite right. They were still like $25 for 6 pair. But, the company that sold them, disappeared. If I buy there at all, I only buy "Ships from and Sold By Amazon" now.

Amazon did refund my money but were not remotely interested in getting the stuff back to investigate anything . . .

Give me some brick and mortar!
frusty.gif

EDIT: They did take the guitar back. It was "supposed" to be one of the last Hagstrom Northern series guitars made in Sweden and was a $1500 guitar before it all went to China. This thing wasn't even the level of quality of a Chinese model. Never did hear anything about it though . . .

Last edited:
  • Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 2 users

Chris Tomas

Apprentice
Jan 6, 2018
Let's see, down town stores, became strip malls, became mega malls, became Amazon.

Sadly, Amazon doesn't police anything so I've managed to get bootleg music, movies, a guitar, and even Hanes underwear. Picture material the consistence of an oil rag hanging from an elastic band with Hanes stamped on it that doesn't look quite right. They were still like $25 for 6 pair. But, the company that sold them, disappeared. If I buy there at all, I only buy "Ships from and Sold By Amazon" now.

Amazon did refund my money but were not remotely interested in getting the stuff back to investigate anything . . .

Give me some brick and mortar!
frusty.gif
I agree, and this is coming from a computer tech. Too much automation :(

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I always think of that Brady Bunch movie from what 10-15 years back where the dad says “ok kids, put on your Sunday best, we are going to Sears!” When I was a kid we always went to Sears first. As I have posted before I still have my Craftsman tool set from my 16th birthday back in the late 70’s. Always did my Christmas shopping there because the quality of the stuff was great and store we had was huge and had everything. How times have changed for Sears.

One other thing I remember is having to rush to stores early Saturday nights to get batteries and such because all the stores were closed Sunday and you were out of luck till Monday.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
We still have a Sears but all the K marts in my area are gone. I remember Sears used to sell Belgium Browning shotguns. New times for sure. I hate Wal-mart but still go at times. Living in a rural area I am sure guilty of shopping on line

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Malls and retail shopping infuriate me. We only go to the mall to see Santa... or pick up an online order.

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I had been on the anti-Amazon plan since I started with them before they were big and then they slowed their shipments down to make you want Prime before they had all the shows coming on to give it value. The other kicker was I bought a guaranteed non scratch car cover after the first or second use the draw string broke and since where I live it gets very windy it got underneath it and was smacking the lock off the side of the car and put quite a few scratches in it. Went through a big long ordeal of the giving me the run around and me keep pushing it, finally they said go get 3 estimates to repair it. Do my best do to that since it is dipped the whole thing would need replaced to repair it properly and nobody local did dips then, so keep going around with them just to finally say since it wasn't their item there is nothing they could do. I held out for quite a while refusing to deal with Amazon but now for work and other things its just so hard to beat.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Sad how retail has died. We got almost all our Christmas presents through the Sears Wish Book as kids. Sears and Kmart are both gone as well a Zeller's which replaced Kmart in Canada. Online retailers need some run down shack to set up shop and minimal staff, tough very competitive new world.

79 GP 4 speed

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2017
Look up the owner of sears/Kmart, he lives on a private island of Florida. He was a hedge fund manager before buying them. He wants them to close due to the fact that the buildings are rented at about $5 a square foot and once they close he rents it out for $25 a square foot. They have also lost alot of there suppliers. Craftsman has been sold to black and Decker and they are looking for someone to purchase Kenmore and one other brand. That is from what I read a few days ago

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
we had one sears here close early last year. still have one in the local mall that is open. i wonder my self what if my tools need replaced. but a few local hardware stores are carrying craftsman tools and our local farm ad fleet carry s craftsman tools. not sure how big of town you live in.now that i think about it our local Walmart started carrying craftsman tools.

buick7332

Master Mechanic
Oct 21, 2014
N.E. Philadelphia area
we had one sears here close early last year. still have one in the local mall that is open. i wonder my self what if my tools need replaced. but a few local hardware stores are carrying craftsman tools and our local farm ad fleet carry s craftsman tools. not sure how big of town you live in.now that i think about it our local Walmart started carrying craftsman tools.
When we renovated the kitchen we bought all Kenmore appliances, they are complete junk. 8 years old they are rusting and falling apart. I was very sick in the hospital, my wife came to visit and said the brakes were grinding on her caravan. I said take it to sears auto and have them fix the brakes. They cut the rotors and replaced the pads and charged her over $500.00 ! Screw sears! There getting what they deserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor