Lock up for 2004R after computer is removed???

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I'm removing the computer and harness from my 87 Monte SS. Does the lock up for the convertor go through the computer? If it does and I remove it, how can I rewire it to work? Someone has butchered this engine bay harness pretty bad. It already has old style HEI and an Edelbrock carb on it.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
  • Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Blue78

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 4, 2017
I used the Monster Transmission external lockup kit when my car was running a 200-4r, I wouldn't recommend it, it locked up early and didn't like to disengage until about 35mph.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Nothing is going to control lockup as well as the stock computer. All too common of a problem with these cars having hacked up wiring by POs.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Andebe

Greasemonkey
Mar 6, 2017
Indiana
How does this effect the feel of the ride?

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I also bought the TCI lockup converter kit and it works great! You have to wire it up inside the transmission, mine was out of the car though so it wasn't that bad.

cherokeechief79

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2008
nj
I have the same situation.i have a 700r in one of my montes and it locks up with a toggle switch which I love.i only engage it on the long stretches.it only locks up in 4th gear and it unlocks itself if It drops to a lower gear.this way it doesn't stall if iforget to flip the switch.if I continue on once it gets to 4th it bogs and I realize ive left it on and just switch it off.(rarely happens)now im having a 200r built for my latest project and want it to be exactly the same.my trans rebuilding guy has it all rebuilt and has just one wire coming from the plug.he thinks that it will lock up only in 3rd or 4th but doesn't seem so sure if it will drop out on its own if it goes to a lower gear.is this possible to do like my 700r?there is nothing external going on on the 700r .its all done internally with just one wire coming from the plug that I have 12 volts going to on a toggle switch.i want to get this all done while its still on his bench empty of fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor