Long term storage causing stale gas, does no favors

Status
Not open for further replies.

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Unfortunately letting your beloved vehicle/s sit for LONG periods of time allows fuel to become aged and compromised hence the quality and octane levels dropping significantly. The quickest way to bring death to a turbocharged or supercharged engine, is to run it hard with crap fuel once out of long term storage. For one, if it IS a computer controlled engine, it can only suppress detonation SO MUCH, and the stale fuel can still cause pinging or knocking from the poor quality fuel your running in it, causing premature and permanent damage. The experts say to keep your beloved sitting vehicle topped off with fuel to keep moisture issues at bay, yet this makes it difficult to add FRESH fuel when you want to pull it out of storage and drive it. There is no easy answer, and various opinions on the correct answer, IF THERE EVEN IS a correct answer. Would love to hear opinions on how you care for your long term stored vehicle and its fuel. And of course, 1 yr vs 10 years, it makes a difference in your answer, so please state your duration of storage. Have a great day!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I fill mine with real gas, not the ethanol tainted gas. The ethanol attracts water and breaks the gas down faster than real gas. With real gas I never had a problem starting the car after it sitting for months and there was never any residue gumming up the carb.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Store-n-start works well for a year or so. Over the winter is fine. But you can't abuse that. I left treated gas in my TA for 4 years and was I sorry. It gummed up the valves and I got horrible backfiring out the intake and exhaust. I had to add solvent to the oil and then it took over an hour of running at a fast idle to clear them up. Probably the absolute best plan is to drain all the gas out and use it in your everyday car. Run the carb dry before shutting it off. I now keep a 3 gallon outboard motor gas tank handy for when I need to start a dormant car. I just remove the supply tube on the fuel pump and attach the outboard gas line. It has a primer bulb to fill the carb. This way there is no need to use the car's gas tank at all. Then when you are done use that gas in your lawn mower or whatever. Something like this...
s-l225.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

1 RARE T

Master Mechanic
Jul 14, 2015
On a Turbo Buick it's easy.

Put in $10 worth of Ultra 94 with a little storage additive of your choice.

When taking it outta storage, bring a gas can with fresh and one empty. Remove the shraeder valve and hook up a hose to the fuel rail. Jump the connector for the fuel pump and drain the existing fuel out. Use it for your lawn mower.

Throw in the gas you brought, drive to gas station and fill it.

Done.

Reactions: 1 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I do the same as pontiacgp. Fill it with real gas and put some fuel stabilizer in just for fun. In fact, today will probably be my last drive for the season.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I also like to use non-ethanol fuel just for the fact that it doesn't absorb moisture like the ethanol crap, therefore it lasts longer without being compromised. I also use it in my lawnmower. weed whacker, and minibikes. It's not that easy to find in many areas. https://www.pure-gas.org/
Hope this link helps out.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It's kinda weird running ethanol-free gas. Works well in the older carb cars, but the newer vehicles that can run on either- I can't tell hardly any difference except maybe the gas mileage is up a hair with the pure gas. But not sure it's worth the extra cost for the truck since it's flexfuel ready.

Old gas, no matter where it is, sucks when it sits too long. Stabilizers help, but not a panacea.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It's kinda weird running ethanol-free gas. Works well in the older carb cars, but the newer vehicles that can run on either- I can't tell hardly any difference except maybe the gas mileage is up a hair with the pure gas. But not sure it's worth the extra cost for the truck since it's flexfuel ready.

Old gas, no matter where it is, sucks when it sits too long. Stabilizers help, but not a panacea.

when I ran a carb according to my A/F gauge it would run leaner with 10% ethanol. I always run pure gas and got stuck one time having to use the ethanol and noticed it right away. I get better fuel mileage with real gas but In my Jeep I don't notice any difference with or without ethanol. It runs like sh*t on either gas, it's a Jeep

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor