Long tube or shorty headers for column shift car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2017
Hi all:

I have a 1988 Monte Carlo SS that currently has the original exhaust. Both mufflers have holes in them, so I need new exhaust. I'd rather not spend money on a factory-style exhaust, so I'd also like to run duals, which means I need to ditch the factory manifolds and get headers (because apparently no one has made a y-pipe for these cars in about a decade).

My question is whether long tube or shorty headers will fit my car better-I have a column shift that I want to keep (I like the retro vibe of the column shifter and bench seat). I'm familiar with the benefits of long tubes over shorties, but my priority is which style:

-Won't interfere with column shift linkage;
-Won't interfere with oil filter in the stock location (bonus points if I can run a longer filter);
-Won't interfere with UCAs (or at least as much).

As it happens I have a line on a nice set of ceramic coated Hooker 2466s (shorties) but I'm open to recommendations for either style.

Thanks,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor