Longer shocks needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys is there a shock length chart somewhere for our G bodies? I have a set of Bilstein 24-009294 (rear) which I cannot find specs on (other than physically measuring) but I need something longer. These came with my UMI stage 1 kit (1” drop) I have a set of dual rate wagon springs I want to run in the rear but the shocks aren’t long enough by an inch or more. (Rear currently lower than the front and I would prefer it the other way around) All the shocks I can find details on RA (some dont provide details) are ~20.5” extended which is about what these Bilsteins I have on hand measure. I do not see 24-009294 on the list (so i cannot compare my measurements with theirs) which leads me to either not trust the provided details of the other manufacturers or i am interperting the nomenclature incorrectly. The bilstein p/n they list does not provide measurements..

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
try looking up shocks for a wagon(as you've chosen those particular springs) it might be diffrent than what you're running now.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
try looking up shocks for a wagon(as you've chosen those particular springs) it might be diffrent than what you're running now.
Thanks I should have mentioned I tried that, does not list any wagon specific shocks.

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
24009294 is the bilstein part number.
all g bodies have the same length shocks unless you raised it with longer suspension parts.

why do you think the shocks are too short?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
24009294 is the bilstein part number.
all g bodies have the same length shocks unless you raised it with longer suspension parts.

why do you think the shocks are too short?
Well based on the listed info on RA the wagon springs i have on hand are about 1.5” taller than stock. Assuming my UMI springs are a true 1” drop, that puts me at 2.5” taller than current. When i fit the wagon springs earlier, the shocks were disconnected from the axle. When i lifted the axle toward the shocks it began lifting the entire weight of vehicle - so shocks are too short. If i were to force them on i would either not get the desired height from the springs and eventually hammer the shocks apart from driving.

Edit - I should have also clarified … 24009294 is the bilstein p/n, yes, but is not listed on RA for any g body. They do list a bilstein but it is some other number. Bilstein does not provide any dimensional info anywhere that I can find (even on what IS listed for g bodys) so i am only assuming that UMI is using the above P/N in conjunction with their 1” drop kit (in otherwords it is 1” shorter than stock — this would make sense since i couldnt get them to fit earlier with the wagon springs) companies like KYB for instance provide dimensional info so i have a baseline to work with.

Last edited:

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
which springs are you trying to install?

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
You are pushing axle housing up to the point, it's lifting the car and your shocks are too short to reach the mounting bolt?

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor