Looking at the first G-Body purchase, 81 Regal with 350sbc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

naminator

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2020
Check the old threads on here, there was one a while ago that showed all the different transmission pans. The TH350 pan looks like a square with one corner missing. I’d chisel him down to 1,000.00 US. He obviously realized the car is worse than he expected.

I was looking up the differences online. The TH350 has the missing corner square and the 700 has a rectangular pan. I was also looking into where the model numbers for the 350 are so I can figure out what was put into it.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just my opinion, but that car has been beat hard and put away wet.

Being a fellow Calgarian I know better than most what it takes to restore a Calgary car, and I don’t like a lot of what I’m seeing there. My “Project Olds Cool“ was bad enough, and it wasn’t showing half the signs that one is. Not trying to discourage you, but if it were me I’d seriously be looking around more. I don’t know what your skill set is, but I hope you’re proficient at welding and bodywork because you’re gonna be doing a lot of it on that one. Unless of course you don’t mind rocking the hooptie look.
😂

Consider expanding your search to Alberta wide, you may find something better in one of the surrounding areas.

Reactions: 3 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If you start putting pen to paper as to what you need to buy plus the work required to do it right (and you haven't had a serious look at it) it's going to add up quick. The car doesn't look all that bad but I know I wouldn't touch it - but that's me. Where were you when I was selling my cars ??

naminator

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2020
Just my opinion, but that car has been beat hard and put away wet.

Being a fellow Calgarian I know better than most what it takes to restore a Calgary car, and I don’t like a lot of what I’m seeing there. My “Project Olds Cool“ was bad enough, and it wasn’t showing half the signs that one is. Not trying to discourage you, but if it were me I’d seriously be looking around more. I don’t know what your skill set is, but I hope you’re proficient at welding and bodywork because you’re gonna be doing a lot of it on that one. Unless of course you don’t mind rocking the hooptie look.
😂

Consider expanding your search to Alberta wide, you may find something better in one of the surrounding areas.

Yeah I expanded Alberta wide. Doesn't seem like the offerings get any better. I don't have a garage right now so the hooptie look would be the go too. The reason this Regal appeals to me is first the reasonable price, the owner doesn't seem too knowledgeable (so maybe I can score a deal), if the rust is really "just surface" rust then sand paper, rust converter and some bondo should handle that with a couple coats of rattle can primer and the engine is already swapped.

Since I do not have the garage, I can't store an engine hoist/gutted shell. I live in a ghetto so if I left anything that is even halfway valuable outside it would be gone the next morning 100%. Tools would vanish instantly. Hell if I am changing the oil on my Taurus I don't even go inside to get another beer or whatever for fear someone swipes something I left out. I used to be ok with welding many years ago but have no tools or gear so would need to get that again if welding was required. Unfortunately I sold almost anything of value a couple years back when moving. I will still check out the regal and hopefully I can make an informed purchase with this fine sites help.

If you start putting pen to paper as to what you need to buy plus the work required to do it right (and you haven't had a serious look at it) it's going to add up quick. The car doesn't look all that bad but I know I wouldn't touch it - but that's me. Where were you when I was selling my cars ??

Doing it right is the goal. However thanks to budget restrictions it is easier to do it "okayish" 3 times then spend the money to do it right once. In Calgary right now the other G Body offerings in that price range are:

Gutted 81 MC "SS" with rotten rear rockers, a 5.3l LS motor on a pallet of questionable pedigree and no transmission: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1981-monte-carlo-ss/1513577120

83 Grand Prix... Judge for yourself: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1983-grand-prix/1511813763

A 78 MC with a 305 and 3 speed which looks like it should be in a scrap yard: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/78-monte-carlo/1513335177

So far these are the options local. I would rather something with a half decent engine already in so I can atleast somewhat enjoy it, work on it slowly and when I am in a position to either borrow my buddies garage OR move into a place with a real garage/parking area get into more serious work. The other consideration is distance. If I expand the search outside of Calgary I need to nail down a truck/trailer (potentially) or at the very least a ride to the hooptie I get. That can quickly tack another 3-500$ onto the cost of acquiring something.

Last edited:

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Welcome from Regina!

For that kind of money...maybe you want to start looking in another province?

Prices are still higher than what I'd like to see...but.

Cutlass pkg in Saskatoon...

Base model Malibu....

Not sure if you're into wagons or not..

Reactions: 2 users

naminator

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2020
Not really hot on Wagons. But that 86 looks amazing. 2800$ is pretty reasonable but it is a 600KM drive, so I would need to secure a truck/trailer I don't have, drive 600km, pick up the parts one and pray that the running one can make it back to Calgary on its own power. Unless I found a 2 car hauler I could borrow somehow lol.

The other issue is I have parking for 2 vehicles sort of.... A parts Cutlass, plus project, plus my DD is pushing it. But what a fantastic price.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Not really hot on Wagons. But that 86 looks amazing. 2800$ is pretty reasonable but it is a 600KM drive, so I would need to secure a truck/trailer I don't have, drive 600km, pick up the parts one and pray that the running one can make it back to Calgary on its own power. Unless I found a 2 car hauler I could borrow somehow lol.

The other issue is I have parking for 2 vehicles sort of.... A parts Cutlass, plus project, plus my DD is pushing it. But what a fantastic price.

Yes distance would be a factor no doubt...I'm seeing stuff on Facebook that doesn't seem that badly priced in alot of cases...but again distance.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Since nobody else has gotten into it:

The good:

This car APPEARS to be a sport coupe. That was what a ttype was called before 1983. This means

* The hood ornament and 3 badges are worth about $150-$200 US. Value is higher if you swap the 1981 base for a 1984-87 base.

* from the factory you had a quick ratio steering box, 5 pod gauge cluster, and sport suspension spring/shock package.

This does NOT mean you got a 8.5 rear, those didn't start until 1984. It came with a plain 7.5, and, sounds like maybe gears were already swapped - if not you've got 3.42s, not necessarily posi.

If original still the steering wheel has value as a core or better based on condition.

Now, as a regal you've got better access to more reproduction parts than any other gbody due to grandnationals, followed closely by monte carlo ss.

The BAD:

That body is beyond saving in any economical manner, there's maybe a half dozen guys on this site that COULD save it, and, outside of them, to pay to fix it is probably a $40,000 to $50,000 investment. It's literally rotting from the inside out at this point, and, likely would be a thousand hours of labor or more. A pillars, hinge pillars, rockers, floors, roof, quarters- all going from inside out from those pics... and who knows about underneath the car or the firewall.

The transmission may be on its last legs if it was being run dry of fluid and getting damaged - and the ad says it'll run dry when driving so that probably means it's been dry.

With that level of transmission maintenance you have to question how well maintained any of the rest was either.

So I see a parts car body, thats been hacked up. I see MAYBE a core transmission that may have heat damaged internals which means it's really only a case at this point. I see a lump sbc that may not be anything special and is of dubious maintenance status.

I'd rather a car with rocker or floor rust than one that's rusting from the inside. Think about it... all that water runs inside the body, over untreated/unprotected inner metal carrying rust particles with it. These cars didn't have the level of corrosion protection they use now. All that rusty water went somewhere, starting new rust as it went.

If you do take the plunge then everyone here would do their best to help you out. But I think, especially given how you describe your tool/space/etc situation you're better off holding your money and waiting. 2 months and it's fall, people won't want to store summer toys for the winter and more inventory will come up.

Reactions: 3 users

naminator

Apprentice
Jul 21, 2020
Since nobody else has gotten into it:

The good:

This car APPEARS to be a sport coupe. That was what a ttype was called before 1983. This means

* The hood ornament and 3 badges are worth about $150-$200 US. Value is higher if you swap the 1981 base for a 1984-87 base.

* from the factory you had a quick ratio steering box, 5 pod gauge cluster, and sport suspension spring/shock package.

This does NOT mean you got a 8.5 rear, those didn't start until 1984. It came with a plain 7.5, and, sounds like maybe gears were already swapped - if not you've got 3.42s, not necessarily posi.

If original still the steering wheel has value as a core or better based on condition.

Now, as a regal you've got better access to more reproduction parts than any other gbody due to grandnationals, followed closely by monte carlo ss.

The BAD:

That body is beyond saving in any economical manner, there's maybe a half dozen guys on this site that COULD save it, and, outside of them, to pay to fix it is probably a $40,000 to $50,000 investment. It's literally rotting from the inside out at this point, and, likely would be a thousand hours of labor or more. A pillars, hinge pillars, rockers, floors, roof, quarters- all going from inside out from those pics... and who knows about underneath the car or the firewall.

The transmission may be on its last legs if it was being run dry of fluid and getting damaged - and the ad says it'll run dry when driving so that probably means it's been dry.

With that level of transmission maintenance you have to question how well maintained any of the rest was either.

So I see a parts car body, thats been hacked up. I see MAYBE a core transmission that may have heat damaged internals which means it's really only a case at this point. I see a lump sbc that may not be anything special and is of dubious maintenance status.

I'd rather a car with rocker or floor rust than one that's rusting from the inside. Think about it... all that water runs inside the body, over untreated/unprotected inner metal carrying rust particles with it. These cars didn't have the level of corrosion protection they use now. All that rusty water went somewhere, starting new rust as it went.

If you do take the plunge then everyone here would do their best to help you out. But I think, especially given how you describe your tool/space/etc situation you're better off holding your money and waiting. 2 months and it's fall, people won't want to store summer toys for the winter and more inventory will come up.

Owner messaged me and it sold already. I think today was day 6 of the advertisement. No big loss honestly. I would rather save my cash for a better option then be forced to rush into a purchase I would regret.

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor