Looking for 1978-80 Grand AM

Status
Not open for further replies.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
As one of my final hurrahs here on God's earth, I'd like to find an old friend of mine. My last new car, purchased off the showroom floor was my 1978 Grand Am. I had it 11 years and lost it in a divorce settlement. :cry: The ex-wife got it and that was the end of two love affairs. Sadly the Grand AM went to the wrecking yard.

Now, I'm in my late stages of life and would love to find a rust free one. My skills, what little I have, are basically mechanical taking a part out and putting another one in. I'd love to find a manual BEFORE I settle on
an AUTO. I know the manuals are rare but that is my druthers.

I'm tired of going to Car Shows and never seeing one on display. There may or may not be one out there for me.

I live in Arizona:cool: and the closer the better but for the right price, I will travel within reason since I'm retired.

I know realistically it's a long shot,:) but hey, you never know, if you don't ask right?

Thanks for any and all leads. I'm enjoying this forum more than many others I've joined.

AZ:cool:

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Good luck in your search. I also think the Grandam is one of the nicest G bodies, a 301 4 spd would be nice.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
When I saw Motor Trend chose the Dodge OMNI as Car of the Year in 78, I wondered WHAT THEY WERE THINKING.

:sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:
1978 Chrysler, {{{Dodge Omni}}}/{{{Plymouth Horizon}}}

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I had the opportunity to buy the ORIGINAL GRAND AM CA that was magazine car for Hot Rod with a parts car but

timing and money rarely seem to shake hands. The owner allowed me to drive the Grand Am CA on a road cruise

to show it off. I enjoyed detailing it and returning it to him as a show of appreciation for the loan. When I finally had

the money and the space for two cars, it had already been sold. It was a fun experience telling other car owners on

cruise about the car and showing them the magazine article to prove it. I'm thankful for the chance to drive it.:banana:

• Winner

grandamman

G-Body Guru
Nov 7, 2005
up in the hills
I emailed back and forth with the owner of the GA/CA back then, but never got real serious about it.
I do know of a 1 owner Southern 4 speed with 45,000 miles.
~$15,000. Not sure if I'm ready to tell anything more....

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Grandamman, I just checked out your link. Funny you mention the Beaumont, the 301 is much more Pontiac than the Beaumont and the Made in Canada Pontiac's, which were like most 80's G body Oldsmobile's, powered by the sbc since at least the 60's. My ex BIL had a 69 Beaumont in the early 90's, an interesting car.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
I emailed back and forth with the owner of the GA/CA back then, but never got real serious about it.

Well, if the spirit moves you, please send me a private email. I'm not sure which owner of the GA/CA you were dealing with. I was dealing with a gentleman named Thom in Tucson. He was very sociable and helpful as my interest in the car was growing. The GA/CA needed a lot of work to restore and from what Thom told me, someone in either Las Vegas or Nevada bought the pair. I was late to the table after securing free storage and so forth and thus I missed the meal.
So, if you decide to secretly offer information on the one you described, I would like another opportunity to fill this dream of mine. Thx AZ

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
There was another discussion here recently about the Grand Ams, and someone posted a link to a 4 speed GA in New York state. The car was loaded, including the astroroof, but it looked very rough, and the price seemed kind of high for the condition (at least it did to me).

tdvick

Master Mechanic
Jun 25, 2010
Elk River, Mn.
Well, if the spirit moves you, please send me a private email. I'm not sure which owner of the GA/CA you were dealing with. I was dealing with a gentleman named Thom in Tucson. He was very sociable and helpful as my interest in the car was growing. The GA/CA needed a lot of work to restore and from what Thom told me, someone in either Las Vegas or Nevada bought the pair. I was late to the table after securing free storage and so forth and thus I missed the meal.
So, if you decide to secretly offer information on the one you described, I would like another opportunity to fill this dream of mine. Thx AZ
I saw that GA/CA at a Pontiac Heaven event a few years ago. It’s and interesting car, but the owner was correct, it did need quite a bit of work.

azmusclecar

G-Body Guru
Feb 13, 2018
There was another discussion here recently about the Grand Ams, and someone posted a link to a 4 speed GA in New York state. The car was loaded, including the astroroof, but it looked very rough, and the price seemed kind of high for the condition (at least it did to me).

I saw that car.............cost prohibitive bringing to AZ, and usually with anything that old and east coast tenure, it tends to lead itself to
some costly rust repair bills....................

Im originally from PA and as diligent as I was detailing the car back in 1978-1989 with my Grand Am, it still suffered the dreaded rust monster.
Ziebart was the only saving grace for cars back then............

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor