Looking for a good flow chart/diagnostic procedure for TPS code 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kra5379

Apprentice
Apr 30, 2019
My 1983 Cutlass Supreme w/V6 3.8L and E2ME carburetor keeps setting code 21 for “Throttle position (TP) sensor-voltage high“ I’ve gone through the different service manuals I have that even touch on servicing or diagnosing the TPS and I feel like there has to be a better diag procedure. I know I’m probably being too optimistic but was still curious to hear what everyone else has found to be somewhat effective/efficient

Jim Rockford

Master Mechanic
Nov 10, 2007
Shelby,N.C.
did you check the voltage coming out of the sensor to see if it was set too high?
should be the blue and black wires coming out of the plug.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Kra5379, unless you are a purist and stickler on documentations for diagnostics of your classic, it seems that any GM service manual should be sufficient to direct you to a solution. If the documentation is similar, regardless of the make and model vehicle, then it shouldn't make much of a difference if wire colors are different. I have found GM service manuals to be great in diagnosing error codes. On my 92 Chevy S-10, upon seeing the TPS code and assessing it against observations of engine performance, TPS replacement cured the problem. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor