Looking for a Pontiac 301

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldie85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
I just recently got the news that my 1978 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ is going to need a new engine or I can get the current engine machined. The crank in the engine that connects the harmonic balancer broke into pieces when I started it up, the other day. I reached out to Summit and priced a new 350 crate engine with all the dressings along with the 350 transmission and drive axle that I would need if I do a swap. I'm unfortunately not in that ball game to budget all those parts I would need not along the labor cost that it would to do this swap. I wanted to get some advice as to where I could probably grab a good deal on a 301 or what my G-Body guys would do in this type of situation.

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I think I would find a good used Pontiac 350 or 400 before I'd spend any effort on the 301. When I was looking to freshen up the engine in my 77 Grand Prix (understood it's the different body style) I found around here anyway, Oldsmobile engine were far more plentiful than Pontiacs. So I did a super budget rebuild on an Olds 350 and swapped that into my Pontiac in a weekend. They both use the same bellhousing on the transmission. It was an easy swap and ran great.

When the rest of the car rotted away around it, I kept the Olds engine since I also have a pair of mid-70s Delta 88s.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Ditto Hero - the 301 will be hard to find and I have replaced several that had broken cranks (bent wire) any of the Pontiac v-8's will go in there.

Reactions: 1 user

85ss/85gn

Master Mechanic
Jan 31, 2007
beaver dam,wi
Where are you located? Have a 78 grand prix with a running 301

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Ditto on swapping to a larger displacement Pontiac engine.

At least in my CL search radius (upper midwest) there is at least a dozen 350, 400, and 455 pontiac engines for $100 to $1500 ranging in displacements, rebuilders to good runners, and 70's smog to 60's HiPo options.

As long as you don't go really early engines like 421's, the mounts are all the same.

I have resisted buying a few cheap 301 GP's over the years simply because the plethora of affordable big cube running pontiac motors that pop up.

Oldie85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2015
Thanks for everyone's insight and feedback thus far. I'm in the Maryland area and called around to a couple of local junk yards and came up with no 350 or 400 Pontiac blocks thus far. Most of the salvage yards around in my area just don't have the older body vehicles from back in the day.

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Thanks for everyone's insight and feedback thus far. I'm in the Maryland area and called around to a couple of local junk yards and came up with no 350 or 400 Pontiac blocks thus far. Most of the salvage yards around in my area just don't have the older body vehicles from back in the day.
Where in MD? I know a few Pontiac guys; we could probably come up with something. I'm near Frederick.

Reactions: 2 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio

You won't find that kind of stuff in your run of the mill junkyards anymore. You need to search Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I got that 350 Olds I mentioned for $250 intake to pan and it included all the front accessories and exhaust manifolds and even flexplate on Craigslist about 30 miles from me. All I did on it was open it up, check everything out, clean up the piston ring grooves, replaced the oil pump and put it back together with all new gaskets and threw the Pontiac Q-Jet on top.

IMG_2573.JPG

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor