Looking for a replacement steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbd1861

n00b
Feb 17, 2020
I'm looking for a steering wheel for a 1984 Cutlass H/O must be in good condition , no cracks. I would go aftermarket but trying to stay original.

Attachments

• 15824983174536712331980473383794.jpg
    15824983174536712331980473383794.jpg
    872.5 KB · Views: 198

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Hoo-whee! No cracks and in good condition...that's a tough one. Usually at the very least they'll need the leather redone. Or cracks repaired and the leather redone. But that doesn't mean good ones are not out there.

Make sure you get the right wheel you need. The early versions use the small hub and horn button like the 83 Calais, but the later (sometime in January 1984) they swapped over to the big hub and silver trim ring on the horn pad like you show in your picture. Either will fit, but make sure you get the right horn button with the wheel.

Reactions: 1 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Here's a related question, who actually will leather wrap a steering wheel these days?

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Here's a related question, who actually will leather wrap a steering wheel these days?
Quality upholstery shops will. The shop that has my door panels right now are gonna wrap the the door pull handles since painting them likely won't hold up down the road.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Here's a post from Rktpwrd 's "Olds cool" build thread (post #1901) when I did my 84 H/O wheel. I had some leather made and dyed to the correct color and had them fix up my wheel. My car was an early car so it had the small horn button.

I was talking about someone who knew what they were doing with leather. Here's my 84 H/O's wheel I got back from American Stitches in TX several years ago. I got a custom tanned piece of leather made since nobody else had any the right color and texture, and they took my typical top worn factory leather wrap and re-padded and restitched it. I think they're now called Craftcustoms.com or something.

nuwheel.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I'll check those two places out. My guy told me flat out no too much work he would have to charge too much to make it worthwhile so he doesn't do it. I have a 3rd gen Firebird wheel in my car now which is nice but I'd really rather have the original wheel rewrapped in a bigger diameter like a modern wheel

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
So I called craft customs today and unbelievably they are literally 5 miles from my house. It's amazing to me they've been there and I had no idea. I will probably swing pass there in a week or two and talk to them about my wheel

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor