Looking for HEAVIER DUTY ACDelco Air filter for your A348C?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
We all know a plethora of G-bodies used the infamous A348C air cleaner from ACDelco. Paper element type.

But did you also know, if you have one of these and would prefer a bit more filtration you could use A477C instead? GM p/n 88915348. Lists for $17.30 from GM.

It's basically a 348C with a foam prefilter. It's a bit more restrictive, but if you drive around in dustier conditions, it may prolong the life. Need to stay after it cleaning the foam more often, but it's an idea. I used one years ago and it kept the paper element a whole lot cleaner. I quit using them because the 348C was virtually everywhere while the 477 wasn't. But they were around the same price.

Around 9 bucks from rockauto. In case you want one. It's not a K&N, sure, but you can buy a case of 4 of these for around $35. Use the savings and put it in your tank.

And now you know.

A477CF_Primary__ra_p.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I don't think AC Delco does it anymore but Wix or NAPA Gold may still put a coating on the paper element. When you pull it out of the box it will have a tan tint and feel oily

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
That looks very restrictive.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Is the foam element an overwrap, or is it incorporated in the construction of the filter? If it's an overwrap, at least it could be removed and washed much like a lawnmower filter.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
  • Haha

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Is the foam element an overwrap, or is it incorporated in the construction of the filter? If it's an overwrap, at least it could be removed and washed much like a lawnmower filter.
Years ago when I used them they could be had at the local auto parts store. It was one of those places where they just stocked the shelves with air filters and oil filters by brand, and had a whole ACDelco section to itself. I used to buy my A366C air filters there as well. Stupid box always said it fit Pontiac with ram air but never mentioned the Olds ram air applications. Plus they had the little ACDelco card hanger parts with blister packs where you could buy oil fill caps and breathers and such for dirt cheap.

Funny you say lawn mower filter foam. It looks eerily like that. The air filters I used until they stopped carrying them at the store had the foam that was removable. It just stretched around the air filter and had a bit of oil on it IIRC. Periodically I would just take it off, blow it out with some air, and put it back on. The air cleaner filter paper stayed pretty clean. I do not know if the foam is removable any more. It's been several years. I can't help but think they would restrict flow a little, but for a stock car, that wasn't too much of a consideration. It's not like you could make a stock G-body Olds any slower. :)

Trust me, this isn't a "performance" filter. But it's just another option for folks with the stock air cleaner housings that use the A348C filter.

Reactions: 2 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
They aren't all race cars :roll::cool: .

they use them on dirt track cars, we never used them on our asphalt circle track cars. We have cleaned the rads from alot of rubber but with a cowl induction the carb is protected from that

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
They kind of remind me of the foam overwraps that I used on my old Porsche with dual Solex carbs. They were made by Filtron. Filtron filters were used also used on race and off road vehicles. Of course, this was before K&N filters became the performance filter of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor