Looking for help on buying a Monte Carlo 78

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
Hi my name is Michael I am new to the group. I am looking to buy a Monte Carlo 78 I think it is, not sure if it's worth the money or what i should be looking for when I go see it? Things I can tell you that he told me is that it has not outside rust on the body and doesn't know if it runs. if anyone can help that would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• 1684.jpeg
    1684.jpeg
    62 KB · Views: 208
  • 1683.jpeg
    1683.jpeg
    72.8 KB · Views: 210
  • 1682.jpeg
    1682.jpeg
    57.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 1681.jpeg
    1681.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 182
  • 1680.jpeg
    1680.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 209
  • 1679.jpeg
    1679.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
That doesn't look too bad...what state are you in? My MC was in far worse shape than that when i bought it, i think it looks like a good start. You''ll want to check the frame rails and the underside for rust. How much is the seller asking? Oh and welcome to the Forum!! I think that car is a '79 model, 78's came with two bbl carbs only and a nice air snorkel.

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
That doesn't look too bad...what state are you in? My MC was in far worse shape than that when i bought it, i think it looks like a good start. You''ll want to check the frame rails and the underside for rust. How much is the seller asking? Oh and welcome to the Forum!! I think that car is a '79 model, 78's came with two bbl carbs only and a nice air snorkel.

I am in MN. He is asking 1000 for it, he is not sure when it was last ran he thinks 10 years maybe, just got it from his aunt that had just passed away. I don't know to much on fixing car but I can do small things, just don't want to get more then I can handle or pay to have fixed.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
Damn, for 1K id buy that in a heartbeat!! These cars aren't too hard to work on, but if your'e not too mechanically inclined then maybe i would pass? It looks like it might need a lot of work if its not running. Did you try to get the owner to start it for you? I can see a lot of work having to be done to it, but if you're up for the task, i think you will find some rewards in trying something new.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 3 users

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
Damn, for 1K id buy that in a heartbeat!! These cars aren't too hard to work on, but if your'e not too mechanically inclined then maybe i would pass? It looks like it might need a lot of work if its not running. Did you try to get the owner to start it for you? I can see a lot of work having to be done to it, but if you're up for the task, i think you will find some rewards in trying something new.

I am going to look at it tomorrow to see if lights work, turns over also to see if rust in in the trunk or on floor boards. yeah I can do somethings on cars but if I had to take it all apart and put it back together I don't think I'm the buyer on it. also he said it has a V6 in it. I just need some help on things to look for when I go to look at it.

kalidromos13

Master Mechanic
Oct 12, 2016
Palmdale, CA
I'd say get it, nothing is impossible to work on and youre on the best site for finding out on how to do that! I dont think youll need to tear it apart, it looks it really good shape. If you have tools and can change spark plugs then i would go for it. You will learn something new and the best part is doing it yourself! These 3rd Gen Monte Carlos arent too common, so saving one wouldnt be a bad thing! But if the engine is shot, that might involve an engine swap, which isnt too difficult, my dad and i replaced the engine in my MC over a weekend and a 24 pack of coors light haha and prior to that id never done one before!

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome to the forum, Michael.
Make sure you look it over thoroughly for rust. Look at the rear frame rails ahead of the bumper mounts. Check out the floor underneath...you won't be able to pull up the carpeting while it's still in the owners possession, but you can get a general idea from underneath.
Look under the doors, the fenders, rocker panels, quarter panels, etc. The car looks pretty good and original, but how many Minnesota winters has it endured? Unless it was sheltered over the years.

The price isn't bad..just make sure the car is somewhat solid. Mechanicals can always be upgraded.
If you're lacking in mechanical skills, you can always learn from experience and books...never underestimate the power of books.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Welcome from Western New York!
From the grille, front corner lights and what I can see of the rear tail lights I'm guessing its a 79 Monte Carlo. 3 bars in the front corner lights and wrap around tail lights were the slight differences between the 78 & 79.
Judging from the engine shot it may well be a 305 V-8, I'm counting 4 air injection tubes on the drivers side engine picture. Should have a 4 bbl Q-jet carb if it is a 79 and has the 305, The 267 V-8 had a 2 bbl carb and a plastic snorkel routed from the air cleaner to the top of the radiator core support.
As both Jack and Dave had said ....Look for rot in the rear frame rails from the rear axle to the bumper, door bottoms, floors, and rocker panels.

For $1,000 I too would jump on it.

Good Luck!
Bob S.

• Agree

WBLSS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 28, 2017
St.Paul, MN
Thanks for all the help. I think only 2 owners as far as he said, that it started in Nevada before coming to MN don't know how many winters it has been in but he said it was in a barn the last 10 years from what he knows and has 54,*** miles on it.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
So far, I like what I see...but check it over. If possible, grab a knowledgeable friend to come check the car out with you. Judging by the paint, it looks like it came from a dry, hot climate.
I agree with Bob, it's most likely a 305, which is a good start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor