Looking for rear window/side window moldings

Status
Not open for further replies.

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Friends,
I have an 85 Cutlass w a 1/4 top. I'm looking into getting rid of the top and making it a "baldy". I can not for the life of me find the moldings in great condition to do this. I understand I need new rear window and side window moldings...Any advise from any of you pros out there? Thank you!

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
I may have access to a local car in a week or so...if not I have access to 2 other hardtop cars...

iXZ7xS.jpg

G22nGX.jpg

The 2 are over an hour away, I'm hoping to get there in the next while just can't put a definite time line on it. I was under the impression a person needed to swap the rear metal trim just under the window along with the quarter windows and rear window trim?

Reactions: 1 user

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
At the bottom of the rear window is a filler plate to trunk lid that has stud welded into it , either replace filler or cut them off l, up to you how ya do it .
The side windows l just cut(razor blade) carefully around the plastic chrome trim.
There is rivets also around rear window that need to be cut off/drilled out an clean up if you want the car bare back.
Then you'll have to add screws/rivets or ? to hold retaining clips for chrome molding.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Copy on technique...what "new parts" do I need to buy?

Well the answer was there. Do you want to cut studs of filler plate and spot putty and sand ? If not buy it.
The side windows if you want to take your time and cut carefully or do you want to replace ?
You need the back window trim/chrome molding and you'll need clips to hold it on. Molding you can get used , clips new.
IMG_20170504_031918.JPG

That's a pic of my rear window that l just carefully cut vinyl off.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
In addition to what has been posted. The seal on the 1/4 window is different from the hardtop to the vinyl cars...i learned this by accident when tearing my cutlass down. I shattered one window and found a hardtop donor at the yard i pulled the windows and roof skin from. Pic for reference, this is the hardtop style window. Compare to yours to see if they will work.
20161105_113257.jpg

Also, if your cutlass was a hardtop from the factory it should have all the trim pieces hidden under the vinyl...at least mine did. If not, the trim is obtainable. As for the clips, there are several sources for the ones around the window. The clips that go along the bottom of the window are weird looking, and cost a bit more. I don't have the part#'s on hand but if you have trouble locating them let us know.

Oh yeah, there are trim studs available on ebay....they screw into the channel around the window and have a shank for the clip to hook to.

HTH

Reactions: 1 users

RICKDIZZLE

Master Mechanic
Sep 16, 2014
Finally got around to posting some pics. These are my current 1/4 glass windows that I currently have with my vinyl top. You guys think that I could reuse these for my baldy conversion?

IMG_2735_2.jpg

IMG_2736_3.jpg

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
The vinyl goes underneath the outer rubber, lift the rubber and with a razor knife cut the vinyl. If you like it keep it, if not get the hard top ones.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor