Looking for some catalytic converter info

Status
Not open for further replies.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm going to be upgrading the exhaust system on my Malibu in the spring. Right now, the car just has a stock type single exhaust setup on it. I have a few spare Monte SS exhaust parts, including a Monte SS catalytic converter, and I want to get a Monte SS style exhaust system installed on the car, with the tailpipes exiting behind the rear wheels.
Anyway, my question is this. The Monte SS converter has a pipe going into the side of it, that connects to the stock A.I.R. system on a Monte SS. Is it necessary to have airflow from that pipe going into the converter, in order for it to function properly, or can that pipe be plugged and not used? Over the years, I've read discussions that talk about single bed converters, and dual bed converters, and I'm not exactly sure what that means, and which one is better, or if you're only supposed to use a certain type of converter for a certain application. I know that the Monte SS converter is a more free flowing unit than the stock Monte type converter, but I'm unsure if it will be OK for what I want to do.
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
To be honest, the metals in the original gm converters used to be (and i'd assume still are) worth substantially more than the cost to purchase a brand new aftermarket high flow converter.

Since you're modifying things I'd get some local prices on a dealer buying that original cat and then buy the new type, have some cash left over for other things too...

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
IF your state allows, just get rid of all that air injection crap. If you still need catalytic converters, scrap your OEM ones for like 60 bucks a piece and get high flow units from Flowmaster. Also Monte SS exhaust goes straight out the back. Regal and Cutlass exhaust exits behind the rear wheels.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
It depends on your local emissions laws. I have had good luck with $70 Ebay 3" High Flow cat... welding some flanges on them and passing our local dyno emissions tests.. and still use them even now that most of my cars are emissions exempt. Many of these cats come with an air tube you can open up if your car has an air pump, but if it doesn't have one, no big deal. If the cars EGR system works, and it isn't super rich, most cars will pass an 1980's emission test with a new cat.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Thanks to everyone for their responses.
Just to clarify, I understand that Monte SS tailpipes go straight out to the back bumper, since I also own an '84 Monte SS. I guess maybe I wasn't being clear in my explanation. I have a Monte SS front exhaust crossover pipe, with the flat oval shaped flange that mounts a Monte SS catalytic converter. I also have a Monte SS catalytic converter, and the Y shaped extension pipe with the flat flange that goes behind the converter. All I really need to complete the exhaust system, is a couple of mufflers, and tailpipes over the rear axle, which exit out behind the rear wheels.
The catalytic converter that I have is in good condition, as it came off a low mileage car. All I'm looking for at this time, is to have a lower restriction exhaust system than what's on the car now, with a bit of rumble, and not spend too much money. Eventually, I'll be pulling the SBC, in favour of an LS engine swap, at which time, I'll get a good low restriction dual exhaust system with free flowing catalytic converters on the car.
Right now, I own the front crossover pipe, the Monte SS converter, and the extension pipe. I would prefer to use the existing parts that I have, and not spend more money to buy parts that I already have.
Here in the province of Ontario, if your car was originally equipped with a catalytic converter(s), you must retain it (them) on the car in order to maintain emission compliance with our Ministry of the Environment regulations.
As I tried to say in my original post, the question that I have is-will running the Monte SS converter without the A.I.R. input cause any damage to the converter, or cause any other exhaust restriction issues?
Thanks again for your help.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Not sure I understand what you mean.
He just means get rid of them. Which you can't because it won't comply with your local laws. if I were you, I'd get a new OEM cat if yours are even in so-so shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor