Looking for some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Been a while since I’ve been on, but I’m having an issue with my LeMans. Started last month, would be randomly driving along and it would just shut off like someone reached over and turned the key off. Wait a bit and it would be fine and then happen again. Would get to the point where it just wouldn’t start (turned over fine) until a long while. I replaced the ignition coil thinking maybe it was getting hot. Did the same thing. I ended up having it sit for about 3 weeks because I’m in the process of buying a house and just haven’t got to it. Today I went out and checked for any obvious loose or damaged wires and didn’t see anything. Went to try and start it and the battery is completely dead so I figure there’s a short or something somewhere that drained it and is likely causing the original starting issue. My real estate agent has a mechanic background and said I should check the fusible link on the starter wire. No damage or anything there. Anyone experienced anything similar and give me some tips on where to start? I’m not great with the electrical stuff.

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Could be a starter/solenoid issue, or alternator? Have you tested the charging system?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Welcome back, sounds like either the coil or the modular is breaking down. I had an issue with the coil being bad which overheated the modular which shut the car down like I turned the car off. Waited for a while and it started back up like there was no problem. I though it was the modular so I switch that out but the same problem occurred. Switched out the coil and that solved it but if you already replaced the coil try a new module.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Ok. Did you check to see if there was any parasitic draw with the key out of the ignition? Also test the draw from different key positions... it may have some answers.

• Agree

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Welcome back, sounds like either the coil or the modular is breaking down. I had an issue with the coil being bad which overheated the modular which shut the car down like I turned the car off. Waited for a while and it started back up like there was no problem. I though it was the modular so I switch that out but the same problem occurred. Switched out the coil and that solved it but if you already replaced the coil try a new module.

I thought ignition module as well until I realized the battery had gone dead

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Ok. Did you check to see if there was any parasitic draw with the key out of the ignition? Also test the draw from different key positions... it may have some answers.

I’m not really sure how to do that to be honest. I assume I’ll have to charge the battery first before I do that? I’m going to boost the car and check the battery to make sure the alternator is feeding it

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
Depending on how old the battery is and that it sat untouched for at least 3 weeks the dead battery may be completely unrelated and may just be an old battery.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sounds like it has a bad cell. Depending what brand it is it should be under warranty

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor