Looking for some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If a module is bad it can overheat or something causes it to overheat the car will shut down and when the module cools it resets letting you restart the engine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Brantford, Ontario, Canada
If a module is bad it can overheat or something causes it to overheat the car will shut down and when the module cools it resets letting you restart the engine.

That sounds a lot like what it was doing. Seemed to get worse as time went on. Only other thing now is why the battery drain? It’s sat longer than that before without running I think. Unless I drained it a little low trying to get it running the last time it quit and it started sitting on a low charge to begin with?

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Fully charged the battery and replaced the module. Let it idle for quite a while and then took to the road. Around the block a few times and then a little further. Seems to be working but I’m still a bit skeptical about going too far just yet. Last time it went fine until I went to a buddies place, then on the way home it crapped out. Time will tell I guess

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Fully charged the battery and replaced the module. Let it idle for quite a while and then took to the road. Around the block a few times and then a little further. Seems to be working but I’m still a bit skeptical about going too far just yet. Last time it went fine until I went to a buddies place, then on the way home it crapped out. Time will tell I guess

I find CAA a nice afforable thing to have in my back pocket just in case....

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sounds good. Did you test the battery and alternator? A sealed one can only be load tested but one with caps can be hydrometer tested. A so-so cell or two can really drive you nuts. That is why a Milton battery tester is such a great tool, it puts a load on the battery and sees if the alternator can handle it.
s-l225.jpg

Wildmani

Master Mechanic
Sep 17, 2010
Sounds good. Did you test the battery and alternator? A sealed one can only be load tested but one with caps can be hydrometer tested. A so-so cell or two can really drive you nuts. That is why a Milton battery tester is such a great tool, it puts a load on the battery and sees if the alternator can handle it.
s-l225.jpg

I haven’t done that yet. Was just happy to get it running then ran out of time. I’ll have to invest in one of those

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
Had a similar issue 30 yrs ago, the car would cut-out going around (mostly) right corners, some straightaways. But would immediately start back up

popped the hood, was looking at the battery sitting loose in the tray area, noticed some scorch marks on the fender next to the terminal .......... the lightbulb goes on.....

yep, battery was sitting loose and would slide into fender causing an immediate short.

in your case, check surrounding sheetmetal and hood. also check ground cables. CYA....

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Had a similar issue 30 yrs ago, the car would cut-out going around (mostly) right corners, some straightaways. But would immediately start back up

popped the hood, was looking at the battery sitting loose in the tray area, noticed some scorch marks on the fender next to the terminal .......... the lightbulb goes on.....

yep, battery was sitting loose and would slide into fender causing an immediate short.

in your case, check surrounding sheetmetal and hood. also check ground cables. CYA....
:rofl: When we were teenagers, a friend had a 71 Chevelle that had the exact same problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor