looking for speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLY_THE_BOWTIE

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2007
norman ,ok
whats the fastest car/combo here that has an engine that cost less than $2500 to build. that doesnt include trans, suspension mods so on and so on, just the engine.

RedHotRegal said:
theres no replacment for cubic inches. find the biggest engine you can afford.
Oh yeah, "there's no replacement for displacement"

I'd try and find a built up small block from someone who's down on their luck. If you have cash and look hard enough you can get a great deal on a project motor. Thats what I'd do.

the vortec 350 in my el camino cost me $1200. canadian, and the intake was $400. (in '98 ), head work (cleaning throats behind valves, installing 2.02's, machining for bigger springs, and screw in studs) $750.00 including parts, GM HOT CAM KIT 984.00, and my car did 12.2 with a 100hp shot.

all together = $3334.00

you can get a motor cheaper now, and you dont need the cam kit, but it is nice and you will have a serious street brute. no high revs, but this motor can eat 5.0 mustangs EASY. 8)

p.s. cam is .525 lift with the SUPPLIED roller rockers but the rpm band is 1500-5500 rpm. EXCELLENT for the street!

thanks for replies. i used to run a 383 in a 63 nova that i had bout 2500 in the motor and it did real well, but that car was ALOT lighter than my cutlass. it went 12.62 with a 3.08 gear 235/60-15 bf goodrich radial ta tire, home made slapper bars and other wise stock chassis and suspension.
i was told it would have gone high 11s with a cage to stiffen chassis, so im not sure what to expect out this heavey car

you should still be able to dip into the 12's. with alittle work and patience. there was a montess that was in the daily driver class for the hotrod mag. shootout that ran 12.10's and was driven to work everyday when weather permitted. it was a 355 or a 383 I can't remember which one. OneEye is that a true roller cam(not just a hyd. roller)? Just sounds like alot of lift but would be normal for a roller.

its the kit that came in LT4 vettes. full roller, i forgot to mention that i ran 13.01 my first run without nitrous, it didnt break so i went right to the bottle cause with some practise it will be in the 12's on throttle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor