Looking to clone my regal

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Hey RNG, I just did this, and it’s a lot of work :)
Of course there’s guys that will try to talk you out of it, but it’s your car and your cash.
Beautiful Regal!
But I don't think anyone was trying to talk him out of making it look like a clone of a GN on the exterior just actually making it a true clone with a GN drivetrain, interior and all of the parts to make it identical to the real thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

RNGredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2019
Florida
Hey RNG, I just did this, and it’s a lot of work :)
Of course there’s guys that will try to talk you out of it, but it’s your car and your cash. I had a super clean ‘85 Limited 3.8 and have wanted a GN since I could remember but hated the V6, cost too much to make fast, and breaks too easily. I know a lot of guys will be pissed at that , but pretty much the truth. I did all the visual swap and now swapping in a 5.3 and 78mm turbo, with the dreaded 4l60e trans.

Didn’t do much with the suspension, just Bilstiens and a big hollow sway bar. Handles good enough for me.
I got lucky and found a local guy that had a real GN in a field and unfortunately the car was rusted through, but I salvaged a lot of stuff.
Another thing I didn’t like was the dreary black and grey interior so I stuck with the tan that came on my limited and had the wrecked GN seats recovered to match. Scored also with the aluminum inner bumpers.
Don’t get GTA wheels and paint them, the paint won’t last and will need spacers. I got a set of 16x8’s off eBay for under $700. and they fit perfect and look awesome. Some things are worth buying already done.
Also, try to get as much as you can powder coated, the paint or plastic dip won’t last 6 months and will look like sh*t all chipped up.
I went with Quick Performance for the 9” rear and am very happy with it and then as a company. Gbodyparts, Mikes Montes, and Highway Stars are also all great vendors.
But... as much fun as building cars are, especially with family (I’m doing mine with my 8 yr old daughter) I honestly wish I never started this pita project... :)
Shoulda just bought something newer for the money. Anyway, let me know if I can help you in any way.
How much did you pay for the parts gn car that looks like a lucky start!

RNGredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2019
Florida
Beautiful Regal!
But I don't think anyone was trying to talk him out of making it look like a clone of a GN on the exterior just actually making it a true clone with a GN drivetrain, interior and all of the parts to make it identical to the real thing.
Yea your right! I think he was just saying not to let anyone talk me out of what im doing if they did try too! You guys have been awesome with the comments on how to help me and I’ve already started sanding my car down! Trust me noone has talked me out of it actually you guys made me wanna start sooner! I have pictures on here somewhere of the car with the spoiler and hood on being sanded!😁

RNGredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2019
Florida
This is my interior of my regal, i know the gn has that whole center peace and i think will take some work as for now im just getting the exterior done and looking right and i want gn wheels but i want some that are gonna fit right on to my 1983 buick regal ( i do NOT want spacers on my car) ever again as they slowed my project down when I recently tryed puting some wheels on test drove it and the spacer game out and my front wheel flew off damaging the rear of my car and sliding down the road then the other front tired was completely loose also ready to come off!😡 big set back but everything now is running smooth! Last picture is a view of my wheels that are on there now idk if anyone can tell me the right size some how

Attachments

• B6869992-87C2-4848-A74B-E13968C7C85A.jpeg
    B6869992-87C2-4848-A74B-E13968C7C85A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 240
  • 427D05D9-D426-4AD8-BF01-DC3849047033.jpeg
    427D05D9-D426-4AD8-BF01-DC3849047033.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 261
  • DB87687D-3279-43EA-9A63-98599E55F035.png
    DB87687D-3279-43EA-9A63-98599E55F035.png
    3 MB · Views: 243

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan

RNGredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2019
Florida

BuickBroke$

Greasemonkey
Aug 4, 2018
Phoenix AZ
How much did you pay for the parts gn car that looks like a lucky start!

Got the parts car for a steal, $750.00
Was 100% original and all parts were there, even original motor/trans and turbo.
Sold the turbine wheels for $500, then kept the hood, spoiler, bumpers, interior including center console and steering wheel, lots of trim parts. Then sold the rest of the car to a local classic car wrecking yard for $700. Totally scored, I think the planets were in perfect alignment...
I was also able to take the power seat tracks off my 60/40 split bench and bolt it to the drivers side GN seat and the buckets bolted right in place, although it looks like you have a true bench seat which I believe you have to get new seat mounts if you decide to go with buckets. Gbodyparts has them.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

RNGredline

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 11, 2019
Florida
Got the parts car for a steal, $750.00
Was 100% original and all parts were there, even original motor/trans and turbo.
Sold the turbine wheels for $500, then kept the hood, spoiler, bumpers, interior including center console and steering wheel, lots of trim parts. Then sold the rest of the car to a local classic car wrecking yard for $700. Totally scored, I think the planets were in perfect alignment...
I was also able to take the power seat tracks off my 60/40 split bench and bolt it to the drivers side GN seat and the buckets bolted right in place, although it looks like you have a true bench seat which I believe you have to get new seat mounts if you decide to go with buckets. Gbodyparts has them.
Yeah im probably going to get the bucket seats later on but wow 750 and you got 700 for the rest of it the incredible great find man your buick looks amazing! Congratulations on the find!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor