HELP Looping power steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olgambler84

Apprentice
Dec 26, 2018
So on my Acura I could loop the rack and pinion, after removing some pins and things from inside of it. Is there a way I can plug up the gearbox and loop the pump ? Has anyone tried this?

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Do not loop the bump ,it don't work it's a huge mess cause your power steering puts out a couple hundred psi if not more and it simply blows the cap off ,did this in the woods one time to get home didn't last a minute

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
What’s your goal? Recovering 5 HP at the track? Can you just take the belt off the PS pump pellet when you need the turbo boost? If this is a long-term strategy, a manual steering box is probably the right solution.

shoedoos

Master Mechanic
Jul 3, 2012
is there any reason he can't just loop the in/out lines on the steering gearbox and fill it as far as possible before tightening the loop connections? Then just delete the pump altogether and run a shorter belt for the alternator/water pump/bottom pulley etc? I would think a small amount of fluid circulating in the steering box would act as a very minor form of power steer?

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since the gearbox was designed to be pressurized, without the power steering pump to provide it the steering will be maximum effort.
Try turning your steering wheel when the car is not running to get an idea of what you will have and while moving it will only be a little easier.
I say make the power steering work as intended or change to a manual set up if that is what you want.

• Agree

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
s10 pickup/blazer/Jimmy manual steering box is your friend.

Box ratio will suffer but it's designed to so that the manual is easier to turn

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Go with a manual box for sure, looping the line on the power steering box just makes sure it doesnt spew everytime you turn the wheel but will do nothing to help the steering effort. Power steering is just hydraulics, if you take the pump out of the equation on any hydraulic system then it simply isnt going to work.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Power anything doesn't work as a closed system. If it did it wouldn't need a pump which is also the reservoir. That is why it has a pump. What you are trying to do is possible to hook up but it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor