loose steering

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Tahiti - French Polynesia
Hi guys !

On my cutlass supreme I have a loose steering and it doesn't feel secure when I drive at 60 mph or more.

For exemple, I can approximately turn the steering wheel 3 or 4 inches from right to left without moving the wheels !

I've seen some tutorials on youtube, so I've jacked up my car and I have checked the wheels by pushing them with the hands right and left and up/down, but they do not move at all, so it seems ok !

Then, in the tutorials, they told to tighten the steering box, It is what I did, I tightened the bolt secured by a nut on the top of the steering box. I did almost 1,5 turn, until it began blocking and I did 1/8 turn back and then resecured the nut.
Now I have a big improvement, I have only maybe 1.5 inch from right to left on the steering wheel without moving the wheels.
Here is a video with the actual situation :

But do you think that I can still improve the precision of the steering or have I reached the maximum ?

Should I change the steering box and get a brand new one ? (I have read that if there is no visible thread anymore on the bolt after tightening it then you have to change the steering box)

Is there something else I can do ?

Thanks !!

Mickeypowa

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
G Bodies by nature in stock form have really loose feeling steering. I doubt you'd get much better than what you have unless you replace all your steering components and bushings.

383_GrandPrix

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2016
Quebec, Canada
You can also do the jeep steering shaft swap. The Jeep shaft uses two universal joints instead of a rag joint. The rag joints wear out an cause slop in the steering.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
G Bodies by nature in stock form have really loose feeling steering. I doubt you'd get much better than what you have unless you replace all your steering components and bushings.

how do you come up with this stuff, G bodies don't come from the factory with loose steering, it could simply be the rag joint

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Have someone turn the wheel while you inspect the movement of the steering components.

Here are possible locations for "looseness":
1) The steering column can be loose at the tilt joint - you need to disassemble the column and tighten the 4 bolts
2) the upper to lower column connection can be loose.
3) the rag joint needs replacing
4) - its in the box
5) the tie rods
6) the suspension

If you focus on the Box, I learned this week that the box is only "tight" on center. That means that if the "Flat" on the box input shaft HAS to be UP when the wheels are aligned straight. If the wheels are aligned straight and the flat on the input shaft is at a 45 degree angle to horizontal, there will be a dead spot on center going down the road.

I have always aligned the steering based on the steering wheel position. Now I will align the steering with steering gearbox center as the starting point.

If you can't get all the looseness out, caster helps a ton with "loose steering". A car with a lot of caster will still track straight, even with floppy steering.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 4 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
how do you come up with this stuff, G bodies don't come from the factory with loose steering, it could simply be the rag joint
By loose, I mean loose feeling. One finger power steering, that type of thing. Most modern cars feel really tight and heavy comparatively. Unless you have a quick ratio box or a car with 100% new components.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
In addition of things to check while inspecting steering components are the center link and idler arm. Center links do commonly go bad.

• Agree

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
By loose, I mean loose feeling. One finger power steering, that type of thing. Most modern cars feel really tight and heavy comparatively. Unless you have a quick ratio box or a car with 100% new components.

that is light steering, not loose

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor