Lost keys, can ignition cylinder be removed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
I lost the keys to one on my Montes. I coat hangered the door and plan to crawl through the back seat to open the trunk, but I'm unsure of whether or not the cylinder can be removed from the column without the key. I was thinking it had to be in the run position, but that could have been on a furd.

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Roy

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
You don't need the key to remove the cylinder, remove steering wheel and lock plate, loosen the cancelling cam and move it off to the side. It will either be a torx or phillips screw then the cylinder will pull right out.

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
Awesome, thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
81Regal said:
You don't need the key to remove the cylinder, remove steering wheel and lock plate, loosen the cancelling cam and move it off to the side. It will either be a torx or phillips screw then the cylinder will pull right out.

you do need a key..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27891

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
however, you can use other keys. if you have friends with older GM's, especially another g-body, try their keys. i used one from a 78 buick and it was perfect. or you can drill the lock.

rlsllc

Apprentice
Sep 24, 2007
Ohio
Well, it appears that I have a few votes in each direction. I have a spare column with keys from a 1989 Safari, and the wheel is already off, so tomorrow after work I will go dig it out of storage, disect it and post the results.

Thanks to all of those who replied!

Off topic, but this is the Safari...I removed the column to replace it with one for a stick shift....

IMG_7518_1.jpg

It has a 350 with TPI, SM465 4 speed and a NP241. I am almost ready to start driving it, and yes, it will be getting some larger tires.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I wasn't voting..I was only relating what is said in the Chilton's manual and from my own experience...but I didn't know that you can try other keys like mega posted...that could be your solution

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Have you tried any other GM keys in it? I have seen on many GMs from the 70s-80s that had worn out cylinders, like my old Bonneville. And GM key would turn the ignition.

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
Not to argue but that is the way I have done it on several GM collumns pulled from salvage yard cars. No keys for one reason or another.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if it can be removed without a key then problem solved....but that's not the way it was designed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor