Lots of driving - great MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
My daily driver is a 2016 Dodge Charger R/T Road and Track edition with the Super Track Pack. I've owned it for 4+ years and have always been happy and impressed with it. It's been a great car with no issues. I've had to do some major travelling for work, all highway, and been getting awesome MPGs. 30+ MPG for the last 2600 miles over the last 4 weeks. I know its got the 8-speed auto and cylinder deactivation but 30 mpg out of the 5.7 hemi is pretty impressive in my book.
DSCN1681.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
First time I took my 2015 C7 Corvette down to Atco, I couldn't believe while in the V4 mode and cruising on the NJ Turnpike at 65-70mph I averaged right around 32-33 MPG. That was shocking...

In reality most of mileage I've put on it since (32K), I drive it locally and in MANUAL transmission mode, which requires paddle shifting all upshifts but forces engine to stay in V8 mode. As long as I don't mash the throttle it still get's decent mileage anywhere from 16-20 MPG. They have these direct injection engines with VVT really well tuned from the factory imho.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Emissions requirements are BS - yeah right. This is what has allowed you guys to see this kind of mileage - because someone was thinking outside of the box.

Probably EV's are the next step, just not for this guy. But consider what was considered big power when our G;s were built and what is considered big power now. I remember when a 350-400HP SB was a big deal (I admit that 400hp is a BG deal on the street). But now 600HP factory setups aren't uncommon or impossible. Taking a POS JY motor and making close to 4 digit power is not unrealistic.

Where will we be 25 years from now? At what point is enough power and fuel economy enough?

BTW, a Hemi is a 426ci BB, not a 350 ci wanna be. A tag on the valve don't mean sheetz.

Reactions: 2 users

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
Emissions requirements are BS - yeah right. This is what has allowed you guys to see this kind of mileage - because someone was thinking outside of the box.

Probably EV's are the next step, just not for this guy. But consider what was considered big power when our G;s were built and what is considered big power now. I remember when a 350-400HP SB was a big deal (I admit that 400hp is a BG deal on the street). But now 600HP factory setups aren't uncommon or impossible. Taking a POS JY motor and making close to 4 digit power is not unrealistic.

Where will we be 25 years from now? At what point is enough power and fuel economy enough?

BTW, a Hemi is a 426ci BB, not a 350 ci wanna be. A tag on the valve don't mean sheetz.

I'm still waiting for Mr. Fusion... LOL

mrfusion.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yeah, the 8 and 10 speed transmission help mileage and acceleration a lot. Also cylinder deactivation but there seems to be issues with cam wear and oil usage. What rear gears does your Charger have? I have gotten similar combined driving my 17 Dodge Challenger GT AWD, driving it pretty hard in Summer. Still 200 pounds less plus two less cylinders. I lose about 5 mpg in Winter as the AWD is engaged due to the outside temperature.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Don't forget modern aerodynamics.

Red78Calais4speed

Greasemonkey
Feb 16, 2013
Leominster, Massachusetts
I still have the copy of the window sticker the dealership had when I bought it used. It shows a 3.07 rear end. It is fully loaded with options including the engine block heater ($95 option) and was originally almost $47K new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor