BUILD THREAD Low low cost build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
I’ve built a couple of F bodies and a couple of G bodies (Camaro & Malibu). The cost is getting out of hand to buy the cars and buy replacement parts. This summer I was able to build a C5 Vette for less money than my last Malibu build. Plus the Vette is twice as fast.
My personal challenge is to build a low cost G body, that looks great, is a strong runner (V8), and has terrific brakes. The body must be solid, straight and rust free.
Suggestions and ideas will be appreciate.

Last edited:

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
I know ls swaps are popular but a decent lowcost alternative in my opinion would be a pre-ls 97-98 vortek 350/4l60 from a silverado or express van. Around here i see rusted to sh*t but still running ones for $1200/1500 on a fairly regular basis. Would be a easy swap for any 305 sbc and by getting the whole truck you have almost everything you need. It's not terribly powerfull as is but a decent base to startwith. CarCraft had an article some years back doing just that and with a cheap set of speedway stockcar heads and cam combo made an easy 425 hp.

Reactions: 1 users

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
That’s exactly what I’m thinking of, maybe even an LS from a truck. However, no rusted out bodies.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
That’s exactly what I’m thinking of, maybe even an LS from a truck. However, no rusted out bodies.
We don't care about the body other than it gets us the truck cheaper. The problem with the LS imo for a budget build is procuring all the stuff needed for the swap such as mounts, oilpan and such. the older vortek just bolts in place of the 305 and all accessories swap over. More low budget :giggle:

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
You can do an SBC swap pretty cheap the expensive part will be finding the rust free body that you want to put the engine in

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
I’ve built a couple of F bodies and a couple of G bodies (Camaro & Malibu). The cost is getting out of hand to buy the cars and buy replacement parts. This summer I was able to build a C5 Vette for less money than my last Malibu build. Plus the Vette is twice as fast.
My personal challenge is to build a low cost G body, that looks great, is a strong runner (V8), and has terrific brakes. The body must be solid, straight and rust free.
Suggestions and ideas will be appreciate.
Do you follow sloppy mechanics on youtube or facebook? Lots of good info from either of those sources if considering an LS swap.

If you are content with a high 12 second car.....I'd buy an 02-06 escalade with a 6.0 lq9 (they can be found fairly cheap....typically with a blown transmission). Parting out the remainder of the escalade will get your money back and then some. For a transmission.....go 4l80e or th400. Rework your own harness and tune it yourself with hptuners. Buy a cam, valve springs and decent torque converter. Foxbody or explorer 8.8 rear end....etc.

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Do you follow sloppy mechanics on youtube or facebook? Lots of good info from either of those sources if considering an LS swap.

If you are content with a high 12 second car.....I'd buy an 02-06 escalade with a 6.0 lq9 (they can be found fairly cheap....typically with a blown transmission). Parting out the remainder of the escalade will get your money back and then some. For a transmission.....go 4l80e or th400. Rework your own harness and tune it yourself with hptuners. Buy a cam, valve springs and decent torque converter. Foxbody or explorer 8.8 rear end....etc.

That is if you can find buyers. Selling used stuff is difficult. Some guys end up having to pay a junkman to take the heap off their hands. Plus some areas you can be fined for having junk cars sitting in your yard. A decent cam and 059 vortec will wake a 305 to 300 hp easy. However, it seems you already decided on an LS swap and created this thread for confirmation replies.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Cheap, easy or fast. Pick any two.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
That is if you can find buyers. Selling used stuff is difficult.
There has never been a better time for buyers and sellers to connect. Are you old enough to remember a time when the only way to reach buyers was to pay for an ad in a newspaper? With Facebook marketplace you can reach a much larger audience for free.

Anyway......I've parted out both a Yukon Denali and Cadillac Escalade......its very easy to sell parts since many folks want to upgrade the wheels, interior trim, steering wheel, front clip, seats, stereo, etc. on their Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon with the more premium Cad and Denali pieces. It's not at all hard to get a known good running engine and profit $1000.

Some guys end up having to pay a junkman to take the heap off their hands.
Salvage yard will pay $100-$200 for the carcass depending on weight and scrap metal price. If you are paying someone to take it away....you are doing it wrong...lol.

Plus some areas you can be fined for having junk cars sitting in your yard.
Not in my area.....but yeah I'm assuming the OP is not living in Beverly Hills.

A decent cam and 059 vortec will wake a 305 to 300 hp easy.
The OP said he wanted to go fast.

However, it seems you already decided on an LS swap and created this thread for confirmation replies.

I didn't create this thread.....but the OP did express interest in going with an LS and he has experience with the LS (mentioned a C5 build).....I'm sure he understands their potential.......seems like a no-brainer to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor