Low speed brake squeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have an '08 Cobalt and we get a low speed brake squeal. Nothing at a serious stop. Only at 5mph or so. All I could find wrong was the rotors were scratched up and it looks like someone put new pads on bad rotors. The scratches are not deep but enough to cause the pads to wear funny. May be the problem?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I have an '08 Cobalt and we get a low speed brake squeal. Nothing at a serious stop. Only at 5mph or so. All I could find wrong was the rotors were scratched up and it looks like someone put new pads on bad rotors. The scratches are not deep but enough to cause the pads to wear funny. May be the problem?
Bad caliper bolt sliders?

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Bad caliper bolt sliders?
They looked very clean when I removed them. Not even any rust which surprised me. The FSM says gouges up to 1.5mm or .050" are acceptable. I think I have new rotors stashed somewhere so If I do I will just replace them. Process of elimination which is not the most cost effective way to do things.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I replaced all four rotors and pad sets on my wife's 2011 Pilot with Raybestos premium parts from RockAuto. A few weeks later, they squeaked on light braking at low speed. Checked everything out, made sure the slides were lubed, but the noise continued. To maintain the marital bliss, I went to the Honda parts counter and forked it over for OEM pads. Same rotors, no more noise.

Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well today we yanked the front rotors, replaced with new Raybestos parts, and new pads, also Raybestos. I have never had an issue with Raybestos products. I used the exact same parts on my other Cobalt and no problems. Still had noise and it really sounds like the rear. So we pulled the rear drums and YIKES! the dust that came out! Washed it all off and everything looked fine. Shoes had lots of meat as they should since I replaced them last year. But wow the dust! Put the drums back on and adjusted everything. Still a bit of noise but less than before. The only thing stock is the rusty drums but they are smooth so I can't see replacing them. I told him to just live with it until we replace the drums maybe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor