lower control arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

scarborough

Master Mechanic
Sep 30, 2016
looking to replace my front upper an lower control arm using stock parts. wonder if Delphi control arm are any good

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Can't say they're any better or worse than what's out there already, JMO. Probably the same. The question is whether Delphi actually makes them, or do they just buy them like nearly every other vendor, stamp their name on them, and sell them under their brand. I just don't know. I haven't followed that market but it seems like everyone and their brother has control arms available nowadays. My big concern is the ball joint quality. Some I see the joint is riveted in, others I see they're bolted in. Too bad you couldn't buy them naked and put your own ball joints and bushings in them. Maybe you can, but I don't recall seeing any lately.

I'm almost sure there are differences between genuine GM factory parts and the aftermarket. I just don't know what they all are.

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Can't say they're any better or worse than what's out there already, JMO. Probably the same. The question is whether Delphi actually makes them, or do they just buy them like nearly every other vendor, stamp their name on them, and sell them under their brand. I just don't know. I haven't followed that market but it seems like everyone and their brother has control arms available nowadays. My big concern is the ball joint quality. Some I see the joint is riveted in, others I see they're bolted in. Too bad you couldn't buy them naked and put your own ball joints and bushings in them. Maybe you can, but I don't recall seeing any lately.

I'm almost sure there are differences between genuine GM factory parts and the aftermarket. I just don't know what they all are.

Even GM often justs buys replacement parts from others and stamps their name on.

Something to be careful about balljoints is that some replacements are oversized for egged out A arms such as Moogs. Smooth balljoints are usually standard size while spined are usually oversized. IMO if an A arm is egged out I would replace the whole arm. Moreover, if you somehow buy a blank arm you will only want to use standard size balljoints in it. 8nly blank arms I have seen are performance type arms.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Something to be careful about balljoints is that some replacements are oversized for egged out A arms such as Moogs. Smooth balljoints are usually standard size while spined are usually oversized. IMO if an A arm is egged out I would replace the whole arm. Moreover, if you somehow buy a blank arm you will only want to use standard size balljoints in it. 8nly blank arms I have seen are performance type arms.
One thing I noticed about those Problem Solver Moog lowers are those seem to be the only ones with the wear indicator design like the OE ones our cars came with. My arms didn't need them but every other balljoint I ordered either didn't have it (dispite the stock image shown) & then some of them didn't even have a grease port.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
One thing I noticed about those Problem Solver Moog lowers are those seem to be the only ones with the wear indicator design like the OE ones our cars came with. My arms didn't need them but every other balljoint I ordered either didn't have it (dispite the stock image shown) & then some of them didn't even have a grease port.
The balljoints without grease fittings have the self lube plastic seats while the metal seat type requires grease fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor