Lower door skin panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Probably, like many other 5th Gen El Camino owners, I am in need of lower door skins for my '87. I see that OPGI has replacement panels for 1981-87 Regals/1981-88 Cutlass but not for the El Camino. I was wondering if anyone knows how these door skins differ and whether these skins may or may not fit my EC. I understand they won't fit perfectly but can they be made to work with some minor modifications?

Thank you for your assistance.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Whelp, your biggest initial issue is the curvature of the door near the fender.

Secondary to that is the body line ridge stamped a few inches from the bottom of the door on the exterior.

Now, if your rot is limited to the center of the bottom of the door the good news is that the rocker shapes were common so you could section in a portion of the inner patch in the middle, then maybe use a patch panel off an accident damaged door on the outside.

Maybe a sheetmetal brake to make a lower outside patch could work as well.

The big reason the cutlass has a patch panel is cutlass doors are identical to regal doors. The reason the regal has patch panels is the turbo buick and grand national guys spend $$$ so the aftermarket catered to their willingness to spend by making initial tooling.

I know nothing about them, and being aftermarket I'd wonder about fit, but, some companies make full skins... or partials...

Last edited:

superbon54

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2014
Wisco
I purchased the cheap lower patch panels a few years back and they didn’t have the ridge/line just above the bottom. The curve at the front was way off too. Not sure if they’re the same or any better now, but they sucked back then.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If you don’t need to replace more than a few inches up from the bottom , get a good piece of sheetmetal from a A/B supplier and make your own. I’ve never been fortunate enough to have a brake to use. I’ve always used 2 pieces of thick steel ( angle iron most common ) and vice grips to form the bottom lip.

Reactions: 1 user

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I'd look for another set of doors in a wrecking yard. Even if they aftermarket panels were shaped just perfectly (which they never are), it's a ton of work and headache to graft them in and planish them out. Even for the very experienced.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
If you don’t need up to the body line, it isn’t very difficult. The less you have to replace the easier. Just cut down the new panel or sheet metal to the height you need. Tac it along the top, when you clamp it to the bottom it will take to the curve of the door shell. I use to do them with the door still on the car. Actually makes it easier. Just have welding blankets to protect glass and interior.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
superbon54, thanks for sharing your input. Which vendor's parts were you referring to regarding mismatch stamping?

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
Doug, here's the situation with doors on my 87 EC.

On the passenger side door, there are rust holes at both corners which penetrate both the skin and inner shell. In addition, although the skin doesn't show rust penetration yet, the inner shell is rotted for 2/3 of the center area. While I have skin and shell patches for both corners (salvaged from doors off of a 79 Pontiac LeMans), the bad condition of the door shell's center section dictates removing and replacing the full lower door skin.

As for the driver's side door, the bottoms edge of the skin have several soft spots and rust penetration. However, the inner shell does have rust and weak areas which will require rebuilding.

Also, I did notice the body shape dips slightly inward about an 1' above the bottom of the door edge.

Superbon54, thanks, I will avoid ordering parts from Key Parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor