Lower Rad Hose

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I have it but I havn't installed it yet. It's not the same pattern as the original hose but it looks like it will work and others online say that's what they use. I'll be doing it this week so if you can hang on I'll let you know

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Pontiac,

I know you sent me a PM on my upper hose and we discussed how I made that. I just found a picture of the lower hose I made for my car a year or so ago:

DSCN0188.jpg

Like you my radiator has a 1.75" outlet and I had trouble finding a stock hose that fit. I made this up and it fit well but leaked due to the poor MIG welds.

What I actually ended up doing was taking a stock replacement rubber hose and after trimming the end off (my radiator outlet is at an odd angle to clear the frame) I took a aluminum tube and slipped it inside the hose at the end that connects to the radiator. I then slipped on one of those silicone adapters you see in the picture above over top of the rubber hose and clamped it down tight.
The aluminum tube allowed me to clamp the hose down tight without just deforming the rubber hose obviously. Just for good measure I wrapped the rubber hose in some self vulcanizing rubber tape before slipping on the silicone hose just to help make a tighter seal.

That sucker never leaked.

But now that I'm redoing everything (again) I've decided to make another steel lower hose since I have a TIG and can make a nice, leak proof weld now. Also because I don't trust the rubber hose isn't going to collapse on a long WOT run down a road course.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
pontiacgp said:
I have it but I havn't installed it yet. It's not the same pattern as the original hose but it looks like it will work and others online say that's what they use. I'll be doing it this week so if you can hang on I'll let you know
Whats the Napa #? Can u post a pic of it before and after install? Thanks!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Bill, here's a picture of it with the Napa part number. I still have not installed it but if you look at FE3X CLONE custom made hose the pattern looks to be the same. One thing tho is you mentioned the next on your water pump is 2" and this hose is 1 3/4" on each end so it will be tight on on end and too large on the other. The stock hose is 1 1/2 at the rad and 1 3/4 at the pump so you'd end up with just one end tight. If you hose is in good shape and the problem is it's collapsing you can get a spring to install in the hose. I searched the internet to find the hose that fits my application and someone online must have a hose that fits your application. Personally I am going to make up a hose like FE3X CLONE's if the hose I got has any issues. His work is awesome and I thank him for posting his way of making that hose

Attachments

• P1010236.JPG
    P1010236.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 781

CdnCutlass

Greasemonkey
Jan 14, 2010
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I have this same problem too. I am using a Summit universal rad. I had to cut the rad support and drop it two inches. The rad sits flush with the top of the support now and I have some hose I found at the parts store that fits, but it rubs the idler arm due to the lack of clearance between the idler arm and outlet on the rad.

What are you guys using for a rad hold down?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
CdnCutlass said:
I have this same problem too. I am using a Summit universal rad. I had to cut the rad support and drop it two inches. The rad sits flush with the top of the support now and I have some hose I found at the parts store that fits, but it rubs the idler arm due to the lack of clearance between the idler arm and outlet on the rad.

Not sure why you went with a universal radiator when the exact fit ones arent that expensive...but anyway...you can get a top plate from GbodyParts.com. Thats what I used, although I may end up using a stock 307 hold down plate and shroud when and if I convert my fan from electric to stock. Not sure the electric set up is that much better for cooling for stock set ups....just my opinion.
005.jpg

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
CdnCutlass said:

I have the same radiator. To help with the lower radiator hose I just bought a piece of aluminum radiator tubing, cut the existing hose neck off the radiator and TIG welded the new one on at a different angle to clear the frame and idler arm.

Also added a drain petcock at the same time.

For the top plate I just use the stock Cutlass plate.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
bill said:
Not sure why you went with a universal radiator when the exact fit ones arent that expensive

Depends if you consider $100-$150 difference in price "not that expensive".

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
FE3X CLONE said:
bill said:
Not sure why you went with a universal radiator when the exact fit ones arent that expensive

Depends if you consider $100-$150 difference in price "not that expensive".
I dont know the price of a universal, but the exact fit radiator is about 150.00 at AZ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor