lowered front and 235 60 tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Tahiti - French Polynesia
Hi !!
I changed my front tires recently by 235 60 15 (the original tire size I think ?) but now the tire hit the frame. It's because the front of my car has been lowered I think.
I would like to keep theses tires without trimming, so I would like to go back to a stock height. How can I do ? What parts should I change ?
The springs, and the shocks ? other parts ??
Do you have the references so I can order on internet ?

Thanks a lot !

Mickeypowa

Winkernod

Greasemonkey
Sep 13, 2018
London Ontario
My 1980 Grand Prix is at stock ride height but when I put 235-60-15 on it the inside scrubbed slightly so I had a pair of 1/4 inch spacers that fixed the issue

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Hits with normal driving or on full lock turns?

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
235 60 15 isn t the stock tire size ?

It rubs the body frame at full lock turns, but a lot !

Actually I bought the car already lowered with 225 50 15 tires. So I didnt do a wheel alignment.

But as the roads here in tahiti are pretty bad, I would like to have stock height and tires to have a more confortable car.
And I prefer the standard height aesthetics.

What should I buy?
Moog springs ? Which one ? And shocks ?
Or also other parts ?

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I know that the stock tires on a 1986 Monte Carlo SS were 215/65/15. I don't see stock for yours being too much different though I am not sure what you have. Looks like a Grand Prix from the picture.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I had a few years between putting in new springs (non-A/C SS listing) & putting on the 235/60/15's with the change vrom a V6 to V8. There was never any rubbing with the tires & the inner fenders/wheel lip. The only factor that could be different for me was I used mid '80's steel rallys that had a different a different offset than the stock 14's & let the wheel wieghts hit the lower control arm. Might want to see if it's the offset is the cause.

Reactions: 1 user

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Ah yes I have not the stock rims too. 15 inch but I don't know the offset.
But in fact the tire is too tall and touches de metal of the frame. If I put a spacer the tire should be stuck against the frame.
I switched to 205 60 15 and now I don't rub anymore, but I m not satisfied of the aesthetics.
What coil springs and shocks would you recommand for my oldsmobile cutlass supreme 1980 ?
Should I change the control arms etc too?
20190911_165957.jpg

The photo is with my new 205 60 15 !

Oldcoyote

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 4, 2019
Hi !!
I changed my front tires recently by 235 60 15 (the original tire size I think ?) but now the tire hit the frame. It's because the front of my car has been lowered I think.
I would like to keep theses tires without trimming, so I would like to go back to a stock height. How can I do ? What parts should I change ?
The springs, and the shocks ? other parts ??
Do you have the references so I can order on internet ?

Thanks a lot !

Mickeypowa
How was the front lowered?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Hate to see you wasing money of tires but a 215/65/15 might be what would work for the aesthetics. This is the stock 15 inch tire for our cars (MC SS, 442, GN, 2+2).

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor