lowered rear need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986SSMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2012
I have a 86 monte ss lowered 2 in rear driving car very harsh over bumps.do i need shorter shocks to solve this?

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
depends what "harsh" is. if harsh is the shocks running out of travel then yes you need shorter shocks. if harsh is referring to the spring rate then that is all tied into the springs you selected

1986SSMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2012
Peter said:
depends what "harsh" is. if harsh is the shocks running out of travel then yes you need shorter shocks. if harsh is referring to the spring rate then that is all tied into the springs you selected
i should ask when u lower the rear do u automatically use a shorter shock?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I doubt your shocks are bottoming out since if they were your car would be bouncing cause the shocks would be destroyed. Plus bottoming out doesn't give you a harsh ride, it gives you a bang. What's the spring rate of your springs? I used a shorter shock cause my rear springs would fall out when I jacked up the car.

1986SSMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2012
pontiacgp said:
I doubt your shocks are bottoming out since if they were your car would be bouncing cause the shocks would be destroyed. Plus bottoming out doesn't give you a harsh ride, it gives you a bang. What's the spring rate of your springs? I used a shorter shock cause my rear springs would fall out when I jacked up the car.
they are the belltech lowering springs from summit bel-5118

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
1986SSMC said:
pontiacgp said:

That says nothing about the spring rate. I'd be asking them what it is

1986SSMC

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 25, 2012
pontiacgp said:
1986SSMC said:
pontiacgp said:

That says nothing about the spring rate. I'd be asking them what it is
def ill have find out thxs

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the springs may seem harsh but they'll see less harsh once you've had them in for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor