Lowered the Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
Ok so today i lowered the Malibu, cut a coil and a half up front and bought 2 inch drop springs from DSE for the back. One thing that was weird when i cut the Driver side coil and lowered it back down it also lowered the passenger side just as much. ever heard of that or seen that? i went ahead and cut the passenger side to see what happens and didn't change the ride height. i think ill just get some drop springs for the front, because i think the front still needs to come down a bit, thought that was weird. also i got new shocks from DSE on all 4 corners. here is some pics.

1546403_10201263677943800_2056047361_n.jpg

1656081_10201263678303809_172668121_n.jpg

1016217_10201263678903824_1839506424_n.jpg

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
I like that stance....looks mean, but not too low. also like that flat black paint! good work!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when you cut one front spring that effects the whole car, if you had measured the frame before and after you cut the other front spring you would have notice the frame height on the first spring you cut dropped further when you cut the other side. When were doing our ride height on the race car if we raise or lower one corner 1/4" it changes the ride height on the 3 other corners... if you think of a chair with 4 legs if you cut one leg short it will hang in the air and more weight will be on the other 3 legs. If the legs of the chairs could compress the chair cut chair leg would still be hinging but the other three legs would compress with the extra weight. That's what your car doing with one spring cut..

your car looks great and those wheels really set it off.... :)

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
pontiacgp said:
when you cut one front spring that effects the whole car, if you had measured the frame before and after you cut the other front spring you would have notice the frame height on the first spring you cut dropped further when you cut the other side. When were doing our ride height on the race car if we raise or lower one corner 1/4" it changes the ride height on the 3 other corners... if you think of a chair with 4 legs if you cut one leg short it will hang in the air and more weight will be on the other 3 legs. If the legs of the chairs could compress the chair cut chair leg would still be hinging but the other three legs would compress with the extra weight. That's what your car doing with one spring cut..

your car looks great and those wheels really set it off.... :)

Oh ok that makes makes sense. Thanks.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
ranllett said:
What size rims and tires are you running.

Randy in Calgary

They are 17x8 with a 4.5 backspacing front tires are 245/45/17 rear is a 255/45/17

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
ranllett said:
Thanks for the info. I have to drop my '78 a couple of inches. Yours looks great.

Thanks man

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings zdeckich & all; Could you please do me a favor, take a measurement between your rear tires and the frame. I have 245/60-15's on 7" wheels with 1/2" tire clearance to the frame. And just driving on the street my tires have cleaned the Ziebart and OE paint off the frame. I would have to measure my BS again as I haven't memorize that # (I plead senior moment). But my tires have no evidence of rub, so it must only happen when I'm doing a .9G turns. Like so many here I (we) tend to drive closer to the limit than most of our fellow motorist. I love to push the car to the limits (slide the car) on back roads when I get the chance. Also if you have two BIG buddies ask them to set on the rear bumper and measure the clearance between the inner fender and the tire. Our cars seem to have very similar ride height. Thank you Bob Jr.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
i will get the measurements for you tomorrow. And you car looks great by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor