MONTE CARLO Lowering a lifted car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2018
Thanks for allowing onto the group. I am going to be buying a g body this spring. I prefer an 87 Monte ss. I had one about 20 years ago. But I like all of them, so if I find a sister to Monte I may buy it. My question is how hard is it to lower a car that some blockheads lifted to fit big wheels? I have found a lot of the cars here in Michigan, but most of the nice ones are lifted. I don't mind doing work, I just don't want go beyond my limits. Thanks for listening. Any help would be appreciated.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
First of all Welcome, and let me say that when I was looking for my Regal project I was trying to find an unmolested car and around here that is few and far between of what is for sale, most had huge lift kits and huge rims and also had things like ostrich interiors and speakers in every possible location etc. the other thing I avoided was hack job SBC installs with all of the AC stuff missing.
When it comes to Gbody's I just fear other people's work and try to avoid it all together.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
The lifts are usually springs, but could be control arms and spindles, too.

Pretty cheap/easy to reverse with stock or stiffer than stock springs. Stock parts are close to free. Springs are around $60/pair shipped. Unless the body was clearanced for the tires, reversal could be done with a couple jacks and jackstands.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Very easy, just remove the suspension on the car completely and replace whatever isn't stock w/new stock parts. Hopefully, the body of the car (wheelwells) wasn't cut for clearance; I'd pass on it altogether then.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Feb 12, 2018
Thanks for the quick responses, I appreciate the info. I can do most things with the car short of rebuilding engines / transmissions. Tried that about 20 years ago. Car ran great, sounded even better. But the car had a rod cap break after 4000 miles. So I had a " friend " of a friend rebuild it again. Only to have him screw it up again. Got about 1000 miles before a wristpin walked out and tore up the cylinder. So I am going to stick to pre assembled engines. That I can hear run, or come with a warranty☺

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor