LQ4 in '86 Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
It's been quite a while since I introduced myself here, but the project is moving along now and I thought I'd share.

When I went shopping for a G-body last year, all I was concerned about was condition. I swore not to get set on a certain make or model, and not to get married to the car to the point of not making any changes to it. I ended up finding a nice GP, as rust free as a 24 year old car can be. Actually, now that I've spent some time underneath it, I'm astonished at how clean it really is.

The goal with this car is to make it as quick as I can, while still being tolerable on the street and with a reasonable budget. I've always been a drag racing fan, but never had a really fast car, so this is gonna be it. Ain't getting any younger, ya know. So, with that in mind, once the engine is in and running, future plans include a built trans, Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end, and eventually turbocharging the engine. These motors have been known to make 800hp with stock bottom ends. :twisted: For this season, the goal is to complete the engine swap, and drive the car on the used TH350 and stock diff. As time and (mostly) money permit, other upgrades will follow.

Current status of the car is as follows- Front clip removed, 305 and 200-4R pulled, exhaust removed. The rear shocks have been done, and a stock TH350 crossmember installed for test fitting. With the easy access as it sits, I will be going through the front end completely, including poly sway bar bushings, gas shocks, and new steering components. Control arm bushings will wait as I'd like to do the big-brake swap. For the time being, I plan to overhaul the stock brakes with metallic pads. In the rear, the lower control arms will be boxed, and adjustable uppers will be fabbed or bought. I also have a set of poly body mounts to install.

The engine is an '06 LQ4 6 litre. It's getting a Z06 cam, double row timing chain, new valve springs, ARP rod bolts, a GMPP muscle car oil pan kit, and a 2000 LS1 intake. The front end will be swapped over to a Camaro water pump and balancer, with a KWIK Performance bracket kit. I just picked up the last of the parts, so the internal engine goodies will be installed soon. Once it's in, the engine will run off of an MSD 6LS ignition box and a Megasquirt ECU will handle fuel.

Once the engine is ready, it will be bolted to the TH350 and test-fit in the chassis, along with the Pacesetter F-body LS1 headers. These headers have been used successfully in other G-body swaps (according to the G-body forums), and they do look like they'll work. Only one way to find out though. :)

101_0183.jpg

101_0192.jpg

101_0195.jpg

101_0197.jpg

101_0196.jpg

pmoore4321

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Wow, you got me tuned in. I wanted to put an LQ4 in my 442, but was talked out of it to maintain originality. I am going to LQ4 my old 90 Chevy pickup in a couple of months.

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
pmoore4321 said:
Wow, you got me tuned in. I wanted to put an LQ4 in my 442, but was talked out of it to maintain originality. I am going to LQ4 my old 90 Chevy pickup in a couple of months.

Yeah, that's what I mean about married to it. Any 442, SS, GNX, etc. would be a hard thing to modify if it's in good shape. I think you're doing the right thing. The truck should be fun, and you likely won't need to make as many changes to it as I did.

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
WOW! cant wait to watch this thread as it grows,

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Blake442 said:
Looks great! But why not use the 200-4R instead of the TH-350?

Keep up the good work!

$$$! A strong 200-4R is big dough compared to a 3-speed. This trans is used, it has a shift kit and 2200 stall converter. I got it for a song, and it will be changed out for a built trans when I can afford it.

I do very little highway driving, and this car won't be my daily..... more of a Saturday night special.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
bobcat said:
Blake442 said:
Looks great! But why not use the 200-4R instead of the TH-350?

Keep up the good work!

$$$! A strong 200-4R is big dough compared to a 3-speed. This trans is used, it has a shift kit and 2200 stall converter. I got it for a song, and it will be changed out for a built trans when I can afford it.

I do very little highway driving, and this car won't be my daily..... more of a Saturday night special.

Can't argue with that. :banana:
Money is what kept the 200-4R on the floor of my garage and put a TH400 in the car instead...

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
I have a few days off work, so I've been working on the car.... The frame horns and crossmember have been cleaned and painted, shocks and steering parts installed, poly sway bar bushings are in. I found some seats, guy says they're from a Sunfire. Pretty comfy, decent support, but I'd like a better color match. The engine work is almost done- oil pan kit, cam, timing chain, and the valve springs are done. Tonight I plan to test fit the engine and trans. :)

Enjoy....

101_0205.jpg

101_0206.jpg

101_0209.jpg

101_0212.jpg

101_0213.jpg

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Well, I managed to get the engine in for a test-fit, and it confirmed one thing- I have a lot of work to do.

To mount it so that the trans tail is in the original location, the A/C module had to come out. I'd planned to delete the A/C anyway, but now I need to fab some kind of heater setup (the G-body heater box won't work either, unless it's modified). This is Canada, you know.... it will need a defroster at the very least.

The headers are good news/bad news. Drivers side fits, period. No mods required. Passenger side, not so much. It looks like one tube will need to modified, possibly even cut out and rerouted. More on this as I figure it out, once the engine location is finalized.

These pics were taken before I realized I'd put the trans mount bolt in the wrong hole in the Energy Suspension trans mount, which has 3 holes. The mount was shifted to the passenger side about an inch.... by the time I discovered this I was ready to call it a night. Hopefully correcting this will make the header fit a little better. :oops:

101_0216.jpg

101_0217.jpg

101_0226.jpg

101_0222.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor