CUTLASS LQ4 Requirements?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy Davis

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
Eastern Kentucky
I'm wanting to put a LQ4 into my '83 Cutlass Supreme. I was wondering basically what all I would need to do this.

This would be my first engine swap ever. I plan on making my rounds this weekend (depending on weather) to local junkyards. I'm hoping to pull an engine and transmission from the same vehicle along with ECM. Is there anything else I should look for or grab? For now, I'm just looking to drop in a stock LQ4 and stock transmission. I'm also debating whether or not to keep the EFI or go to carb. How much of a hassle would it be to keep the EFI?

I appreciate any response you guys can provide.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
Disclaimer: I have never swapped an LS into anything.

You said this would be your first ever engine swap. For that reason, and from everything I've read about the complexity of an LS G-body swap, I would suggest you pick a different swap for your first time. To decrease frustration and loss of motivation, choose something a lot easier. Stick with a carbureted setup, and select an engine that was more-or-less designed for your car. This is partly why I swapped a big block Chevy in place of my Buick V6--everything bolted into place with no cutting/welding/custom wiring required. It was simple and straightforward.

My Grand Prix was not the first engine swap I began... but it's the first one I've completed. My other project car is still languishing and gathering dust, sitting with no engine or transmission or even a front subframe. Meanwhile, I'm driving and enjoying my Grand Prix.

Just a tip.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
Cutting your engine swap teeth on designs that weren't meant to be used together is a steep learning curve. If your mechanical aptitude is up to the challenge then there are many resources available.

You are going to need mounts, probably a trans bellhousing adapter, and an oil pan with the correct pickup. None of these are in junk yards. Those things will get the engine physically in the car. That's where the easy/cheap stuff ends.

Grand National tank and sending unit makes it a bolt in EFI ready tank. You will still need at least one line to the front of the car (can use the stock line for a return if you have return style fuel rails). 255lph pump should be fine for the stock junk.

I have heard that 5.3 trailblazer manifolds could possibly work in our cars but I have not verified this so more research is required. The truck accessories will work but the a/c compressor hits the frame if you're worried about keeping it. Stock truck intake works too.

I'll leave the ecm and harness choice to you as there are too many to choose from.

Carbs work too but I have no experience with intakes and ignition boxes on these or clearance issues that may arise with their use.

rogue_ryder

Master Mechanic
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I have heard that 5.3 trailblazer manifolds could possibly work in our cars but I have not verified this so more research is required. The truck accessories will work but the a/c compressor hits the frame if you're worried about keeping it. Stock truck intake works too.

There TBSS manifold has a 4 bolt Throttle Body and the older Trucks are 3 bolt (I think in '07 they went to 4 bolt in the trucks). The TBSS manifold and later truck Manifolds are pretty much equal so don't waste your money on a specific TBSS manifold.

Jeremy Davis

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
Eastern Kentucky
I appreciate everyone's replies. I'm going to try and respond to everyone in one swoop.

Disclaimer: I have never swapped an LS into anything.

You said this would be your first ever engine swap. For that reason, and from everything I've read about the complexity of an LS G-body swap, I would suggest you pick a different swap for your first time. To decrease frustration and loss of motivation, choose something a lot easier. Stick with a carbureted setup, and select an engine that was more-or-less designed for your car. This is partly why I swapped a big block Chevy in place of my Buick V6--everything bolted into place with no cutting/welding/custom wiring required. It was simple and straightforward.

My Grand Prix was not the first engine swap I began... but it's the first one I've completed. My other project car is still languishing and gathering dust, sitting with no engine or transmission or even a front subframe. Meanwhile, I'm driving and enjoying my Grand Prix.

Just a tip.

What would you recommend I do my first swap with? I was originally going to try to keep it all Olds but I don't have the money for a serious Olds engine, the Junkyards around only have 307's.

Cutting your engine swap teeth on designs that weren't meant to be used together is a steep learning curve. If your mechanical aptitude is up to the challenge then there are many resources available.

You are going to need mounts, probably a trans bellhousing adapter, and an oil pan with the correct pickup. None of these are in junk yards. Those things will get the engine physically in the car. That's where the easy/cheap stuff ends.

Grand National tank and sending unit makes it a bolt in EFI ready tank. You will still need at least one line to the front of the car (can use the stock line for a return if you have return style fuel rails). 255lph pump should be fine for the stock junk.

I'll leave the ecm and harness choice to you as there are too many to choose from.

Carbs work too but I have no experience with intakes and ignition boxes on these or clearance issues that may arise with their use.

I've managed to find one decent build thread that wasn't incomplete or super vague. The only thing I haven't figured out was the gas tank/sending that you covered pretty quickly and the transmission. I'm pretty much a noob at this but really want to swap a decent engine that has fairly decent potential for future applications.

Jeremy Davis

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2017
Eastern Kentucky
There TBSS manifold has a 4 bolt Throttle Body and the older Trucks are 3 bolt (I think in '07 they went to 4 bolt in the trucks). The TBSS manifold and later truck Manifolds are pretty much equal so don't waste your money on a specific TBSS manifold.

I'm going to try and pull a LQ4 from a '99-'04 truck most likely since they're plentiful around my area.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
What would you recommend I do my first swap with?

EDIT: I went searching for your intro thread and found out you're currently running an Olds 307 V8.

Based on that, it would be easiest to swap in another Oldsmobile V8. Any other small block Olds will be a bolt-in replacement, so if you can find a 350 or a 403 then it will be as easy as possible. One tiny step up the ladder of difficulty would be to go with a big block Olds V8, such as a 455. I'm told the big block will attach to the same motor mounts as your small block engine, and I'm sure you'd enjoy the additional torque.

If you can't find an Olds V8 when junkyarding, don't despair. If you happen upon a Buick or Pontiac V8, they will still bolt up to your current transmission; you'll just need to swap to the correct motor mounts. If you can't find either of those brands, you can always go with a classic Chevy V8... though that would require you to swap engine mounts and the transmission (which is not a big deal).

Whichever engine you choose/find, I suggest you stick with a carburetor for simplicity's sake.

Last edited:

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho

Notice my post says 5.3 trailblazer. Not the same as TBSS. I was referring to exhaust manifolds not intakes.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I personally have not done the swap but I have been researching doing the same thing in a cutlass eventually(currently in the middle of a 455 swap). I know there are several aftermarket companies that make this simple. I think Holley has a complete swap kit as far as mounts and headers go, then the GN fuel tank and sender is an easy bolt in swap with just a couple wires to take care of power. as far as the ECM, there are plenty of companies that can reprogram your ECM to your car specs so it'll fire the first time and also modify the donor harness to be a simple 4-5 wires total to hook up. There are several budget LS swap video's on Youtube. Some of those guys have less than $1000 wrapped up in the entire swap and have some great tips and truck to any problems you may run into. would be worth a watch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor