LQ9 in gbody

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
i just picked up a 6.0 L LQ9 from a 2005 Escalade. I plan on doing a turbo motor with a 4l80e behind it which I just acquired yesterday as well.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the factory 160amp alternator interferes with the stock gbody hood on an LQ9. Can anyone verify this?

I think I might have also read that the smaller stock alternator clears the hood because the alternator housing is smaller. What amp alternator is this? I bought my motor from the junkyard so if I need to I want to go and swap out this 160amp alt for a smaller one and anything else that will make installation go more smooth.

I’m not running an a/c compressor. Is there anything else that interferes with anything else on our cars? Thanks

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
i just picked up a 6.0 L LQ9 from a 2005 Escalade. I plan on doing a turbo motor with a 4l80e behind it which I just acquired yesterday as well.

I thought I remember reading somewhere that the factory 160amp alternator interferes with the stock gbody hood on an LQ9. Can anyone verify this?

I think I might have also read that the smaller stock alternator clears the hood because the alternator housing is smaller. What amp alternator is this? I bought my motor from the junkyard so if I need to I want to go and swap out this 160amp alt for a smaller one and anything else that will make installation go more smooth.

I’m not running an a/c compressor. Is there anything else that interferes with anything else on our cars? Thanks
On my 2008 Sierra, a 125 amp, a 145 amp and a 160 amp alternator were available. Not sure about hood clearance. Were you aware that you can buy aftermarket brackets that will re-package the truck accessories? This seems like a good way to go, to me.
http://www.ictbillet.com/ls/brackets/truck-or-ls3-camaro-crank-pulley-3-part-s.html

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
On my 2008 Sierra, a 125 amp, a 145 amp and a 160 amp alternator were available. Not sure about hood clearance. Were you aware that you can buy aftermarket brackets that will re-package the truck accessories? This seems like a good way to go, to me.
http://www.ictbillet.com/ls/brackets/truck-or-ls3-camaro-crank-pulley-3-part-s.html
Is there a benefit to “repackaging” the truck accessories? Does it shorten up the belt length or what are the benefits to swapping all of the brackets ?
I’m still learning on these LS motors but gaining a lot of good info !

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I was thinking it would eliminate any clearance issues associated with the truck accessories. I also think re-packaging the accessories makes them fit the chassis better and it just looks better.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I was thinking it would eliminate any clearance issues associated with the truck accessories. I also think re-packaging the accessories makes them fit the chassis better and it just looks better.

http://www.ictbillet.com/ls-alterna...acket-accessory-fead-kit-lq4-uses-ls1-wp.html

You think this kit would be best for our gbody s? Looks a little more tight and shouldnt have any problems with clearing the hood and frame rails. I just don’t want to get to the install and then realize something isn’t fitting right when it could have been avoided before dropping the new motor in

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I do think that package would fit our cars well. That setup would require you to run an LS1 style water pump, so you wouldn't be able to run the truck water pump. The upside there is you could run the shorter, prettier car intake, like the LS6. The car intakes will not clear the truck water pump. If you want to run the truck water pump and the truck intake, then they have a different setup for that. I like how they use a turn buckle to adjust the belt tension. No belt tensioner=1 less thing to wear out.

DROLDS84

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2015
Northern Indiana
Research it...there is a ton of YouTube videos out there...verbal and visual info lets you buy what you need the first time.

Reactions: 1 user

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I do think that package would fit our cars well. That setup would require you to run an LS1 style water pump, so you wouldn't be able to run the truck water pump. The upside there is you could run the shorter, prettier car intake, like the LS6. The car intakes will not clear the truck water pump. If you want to run the truck water pump and the truck intake, then they have a different setup for that. I like how they use a turn buckle to adjust the belt tension. No belt tensioner=1 less thing to wear out.

I would rather not have to change the intake if I didn’t have to I may look for a different accessory bracket setup. I’ve read that the stock intake flows very well so I would rather throw my bones at a forged bottom end and if I had to do the intake later I could. Trying to stick to a some what of a budget I’ve set.

Are there better cooling benefits to running an ls1 water pump or do they make aftermarket truck pumps that flow just as good as any other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor