LS Alternator wiring help

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Trying to figure out how to wire my alternator for may Lq9 swap. The alternator is out of a 2004 Escalade, and has a 4 pin plug. There are only 3 wires going into the plug from the stock harness so 1 pin is not used. My stock wiring harness from an 87 ss monte only has 1 wire plug going to the alternator. Ive heard I have to connect my factory wire to 1 of the pins on the ls truck alternator for it to work properly. I also heard I have to wire a resistor into this 12v switched wire or the alternator could burn up.
this is a carbed Ls setup. If anyone could clear this up for me it would be appreciated!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
ls-alt.gif

on the 12 volt switched a 500 ohm, 1/2 watt resistor should be wired between the alternator and the brown wire

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Hey man im not sure someone correct me if im wrong but i think if you get the tahoe alternator it bolts on the same has the same pulley on the front and i think its just a 2 wire setup with your main power wire to the battery and use the factory tan wire that led to your delco alternator.

Try this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLaRLiqmDW0

I plan on doing this swap soon so ive been doing alot of research lol

Can i see some pics of your build?

OldBlue82

Greasemonkey
Mar 13, 2008
Huron County, ON Canada
Thank you pontiacgp, thats what i needed to know. Didnt want to switch alternators since I already have this one and it works fine.

jacobdavis1979 said:
Hey man im not sure someone correct me if im wrong but i think if you get the tahoe alternator it bolts on the same has the same pulley on the front and i think its just a 2 wire setup with your main power wire to the battery and use the factory tan wire that led to your delco alternator.

Try this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLaRLiqmDW0

I plan on doing this swap soon so ive been doing alot of research lol

Can i see some pics of your build?

thanks build thread is here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22421&start=195#.U5yAESgjU4M

hope it helps you out

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Dude!!! Nice work man! Im gettin ready to do the swap myself i just aint got the motor yet and im really nervous about it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor