LS ECM, fuse box and instrument cluster wiring terminal placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Hello Guys,

Does anybody want to share pics of where they mounted their LS ECM if inside the cabin? My harness was made by PSI conversions with the intent to mount inside the cabin (under dash or even in the glovebox).

I have 3 components to mount under the dash. The LS1 ECM, a small fuse box with 2 relays and 5 fuses, and a wiring terminal box that communicates with dakota digital instrument cluster via ethernet cable.

I would be happy with suggestions from those who are happy with their ECM mounting inside the cabin. I guess I will be rippping out the old ECM.... maybe I should focus on fitting the LS ECM there...?

Regards,
Mike

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Mine is mounted behind the glovebox. I mounted the ECM to a factory bracket I pulled from a Blazer which is custom mounted to a firewall plate.
20210329_095245.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I put mine underhood because I used a stock harness and it fit there well, and GM intended it to live under the hood for 300k miles in dusty wet conditions and be fine.

But since your harness is already built to go inside, plus it does look cleaner, I understand.

I can say from 1st hand experience it will NOT fit in the stock PCM location in the kick panel. That location is much to small to fit a LS PCM.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I put mine underhood because I used a stock harness and it fit there well, and GM intended it to live under the hood for 300k miles in dusty wet conditions and be fine.

But since your harness is already built to go inside, plus it does look cleaner, I understand.

I can say from 1st hand experience it will NOT fit in the stock PCM location in the kick panel. That location is much to small to fit a LS PCM.
I agree about mounting it under the hood no problem with filth and longevity.... that was the original plan.

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Mine is mounted behind the glovebox. I mounted the ECM to a factory bracket I pulled from a Blazer which is custom mounted to a firewall plate. View attachment 171647
Is that a floor mat there? So, it's behind and below the glovebox....? I have some odd heat-only duct work back there; it is taking all the space.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
That's the carpet. Yeah I yanked all my climate control years ago and therefore had the room to spare.
maybe I'll put ECM where the ashtray is.
That's the carpet. Yeah I yanked all my climate control years ago and therefore had the room to spare.
I can' rip out the climate control LOL; not a race car. I've figured I'll either mount it where the ashtray is under the radio (visible) or I will sacrifice the glove box. I figure I can remove the glove box and remove its bucket and turn it into a panel that hides the ECM. I'm going to leave the old wiring in place for now; I can remove it later - unplug and label what I must for now.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
maybe I'll put ECM where the ashtray is.

I can' rip out the climate control LOL; not a race car. I've figured I'll either mount it where the ashtray is under the radio (visible) or I will sacrifice the glove box. I figure I can remove the glove box and remove its bucket and turn it into a panel that hides the ECM. I'm going to leave the old wiring in place for now; I can remove it later - unplug and label what I must for now.
I took apart the glove box and there's not enough room even if I gut it, so I guess I'll put it where the ashtray goes after I remove this OBD1 port. maybe I'll paint it blue.

Attachments

• 20210330_185013.jpg
    20210330_185013.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 133
  • 20210330_184950.jpg
    20210330_184950.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 148

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I took apart the glove box and there's not enough room even if I gut it, so I guess I'll put it where the ashtray goes after I remove this OBD1 port. maybe I'll paint it blue.
Why not put it on the tunnel, as far forward as you can? Otherwise, shorten the harness and put it under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor