LS engine and trans mount issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegalRegal

Greasemonkey
Nov 30, 2020
St. Paul, Mn
I have a L92 with 4l80, I am using Brp Hotrods engine mounts and frame brackets I picked up off ebay for a deal Before that i bought a G-force crossmember for the 4l80.
When I installed the engine it fit like a glove and feel I installed the frame mounts correctly but the trans mount needs to go back 1.25" to align with slots. Just my luck
20220415_185720.jpg
Here is the underside.
20220415_185555.jpg
Curious if this was an issue because the mismatch of parts or if this was a common issue?
or did I put frame mounts in wrong?
I have pic off the interwebs I was using to install.

I was hoping if I spent the $ on a G-force x member I would not have issues like this but didn't even consider this.

P.S
20220415_185529.jpg

D.S.
20220415_185420.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Slide the engine back an 1”.
Not sure what pan you’re using, but the pan should be much closer to the crossmember, vertically, than yours. That should line your trans about perfectly.

What engine front accessories are you using?

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Did BRP sell you that "muscle car" pan too? If so, watch out for bumps.

200.gif

RegalRegal

Greasemonkey
Nov 30, 2020
St. Paul, Mn
Slide the engine back an 1”.
Not sure what pan you’re using, but the pan should be much closer to the crossmember, vertically, than yours. That should line your trans about perfectly.

What engine front accessories are you using?
Yes, I will definitely try that the in the am but not to excited about it. 😒
Those were a pain.
As for the pan this was suggested to me by a friend that helped with the build.
He uses these often.

For accessories I have looked at many but am unsure. Any suggestions on the cheaper end ? Ict?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Yes, I will definitely try that the in the am but not to excited about it. 😒
Those were a pain.
As for the pan this was suggested to me by a friend that helped with the build.
He uses these often.

For accessories I have looked at many but am unsure. Any suggestions on the cheaper end ? Ict?
The reason I was asking about accessories was to figure out if your engine is too far forward.

How far from the firewall are the top 3 bell housing bolts?

And I think most all of us know how much of a pita the motor mount brackets are to install to the crossmember, but you really need to have them installed in the correct position. Otherwise the trans crossmember is the 1st of several issues that you’re going to encounter.

Keep in mind - trying to help, not make more work for ya.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Reactions: 3 users

RegalRegal

Greasemonkey
Nov 30, 2020
St. Paul, Mn
The reason I was asking about accessories was to figure out if your engine is too far forward.

How far from the firewall are the top 3 bell housing bolts?

And I think most all of us know how much of a pita the motor mount brackets are to install to the crossmember, but you really need to have them installed in the correct position. Otherwise the trans crossmember is the 1st of several issues that you’re going to encounter.

Keep in mind - trying to help, not make more work for ya.
My body is off of frame right now. Is there a measure off front side? I have the Suv/truck style pulley.
I knew I should have waited to install those bolts, oh well.
I really do appreciate the help.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you have truck accessories, then the power steering pump pulley clears the steering gear by less than 1/2”. Mine clears by less than a 1/4”

Reactions: 1 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
. Here's how mine set with ict plates and 302-2 pan. I noticed the front most bolt on the block sits 1" or so further forward then mine does. Or the pic is deceiving. But your pan will have like 4" gap between the front member and sump. Whyd they make the sump so narrow but deep( like a truck pan)?
20220416_082751.jpg
183643-82a4cd212ce36402fcb1dc299f1d793e.jpg
20220416_082839.jpg
20220416_082736.jpg

Looks like mine sits 2" from the stock front bar. And 7" from the bolt on my 88 ss steering box to the block. I'm pretty sure nailhead nailed it. You need to move your mounts back to the last set of holes. This seemed like a great recommendation for ways to get at the motor mount bolts. I used swivels. Ratchet, 10" ext, swivel 14mm on the bottom bolt. Top 2 are easy with a box wrench. It's just a minor setback, you just did them so it'll go 2x as fast when you do them today.

Post in thread 'Rustier then I thought!!!' https://gbodyforum.com/threads/rustier-then-i-thought.75981/post-882858

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor